Skip to main content

Curiosity in a Remote Village in Honduras

By Mary Vee

Walk with me on this summer day as we step into Someone else's world.


Location: A Remote village in the Mountains of Honduras
                 An abandoned Wycliffe Compound

There he sat.

An unnamed boy about eight years old.

At the top of the hill overlooking a Wycliffe compound.


Watching doctors, nurses, child ministry workers, and teen translators on a one week missions trip. According to officials, medical workers rarely came to his village.

He probably couldn't discipher the cacophony of Honduran, Guatemalan, Nicaraguan, American, and Canadian languages spoken by the blended medical team sent to help his village. 


But he watched and appeared to listen.

Early each morning, the team sat on benches and chairs arranged in a rectangle on a veranda made of broken cement. My chair leaned against the building affording me the view of a mountain to my right, the hospital center, and the hill where this boy sat to my left.

Our leaders presented devotions translated into the three needed languages by two teen translators. While intrigued with the message, I watched the boy progressively scooted down the hill, across the yard, and land at the edge of the veranda.

He ran his hands through the blades of grass plucking a few blades to fray.

The medical team then sang praises to God, each member prayed in his/her own language, and listened to the Honduran team presentation of the week's mission: break into teams of three, go to villages tucked in the mountains far away from the road, open a day clinic, and minister to the needs of the people.

The American closed the meeting.


What intrigued the boy to move from the top of the hill toward our group? We didn't have games, movies, toys, gifts, or impressive acts. What curiosity drove him to sit only a foot away from the group and listen to the worship meeting?

I opened my eyes after the closing prayer and found the boy gone.

And wondered, did we step into his world, or did he step into ours?


What do you think?







Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream