Skip to main content

Messages that Pop a Smile


Montana Gals at the ACFW Gala Event
I was stuck in line waiting to get to my seat on the plane with nothing to do but look at the back of heads in front of me and watch first class drink their beverages.

A man sitting in third row of first class ignored his beverage and focused on his cell phone. He received a text. His eyes moved left and right. Then he smiled. The kind of smile that pops when someone we care about says something special.

He seemed truly happy. And because he didn't tap the screen or keys, I assumed he reread the message more than once. The smile remained on his face until I passed his seat.

I thought, hmmm. What kind of message would pop a smile like that on my face?

Would a passage from God's Word pop the same kind of smile?

I'd have to say, sometimes yes, and sometimes no. Yes when I read verses about His loving care and blessings, a tender story, or a sweet recounting. No when bad choices are made, or someone is hurt, probably not during passages like Leviticus, either. 

This last weekend I attended a Christian Writers conference. I learned many great lessons about writing. One of the greatest was, oddly enough, melted into several sessions. The concept did not directly related to writing, yet it did.

The lesson: Our writing needs to glorify God.

At any conference it is so easy to get caught up in the details, the advancement of a career, the opportunities, promotions, sales, and achievements. Yet none of these will ever come to be without first committing the work to God. 

Am I writing this because I did not receive opportunity and am resolving my feelings with, oh, well thinking? Absolutely not. In fact, I write with great joy. this year, three editors and two agents asked for my work. 

But I would have needed to write the same thought last year when I did not receive any requests. Either way, the thrill of hearing Christian leaders share their experiences with us, having the opportunity to present our work to editors and agents, and meeting Christian writers who supported, prayed, and cheered successes for everyone popped a smile on my face.

Why did it happen? Because the focus at the conference was God first and writing second.

No matter what my career is or what I love doing, I need to be focused on pleasing God. When I do, that smile will pop on my face. 

How has God popped a smile on your face?

 


Comments

Janice said…
When I see a child learning about God, and I know from their look that something new about Him has clicked on in their brain and heart, a smile comes upon my face.

Congrats on the yes x 3!

Blessings, Janice
Yes! I agree. Good example, Janice.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream