Skip to main content

The Streets of Sandwich, Illinois

I love jumping into a good book. It lets me step into other people's worlds and take a break from mine. I have no problems showing outwardly what is happening in the book. The character's situations make me laugh, cry, cheer, tell them their wrong, gasp, and well, you've been there. Hopping into a book and pulling back the cover is a great way to relax.


My friend, Krista Phillips' debut novel, Sandwich with a Side of Romance, released only days ago. 

Today I am walking the streets of small town of Sandwich, Illinois. I like company when walking. Join me?

The first person we meet is Maddie.

Maddie moves to Sandwich in a tiny clunker of a car to find a job and someplace to sleep other than the back seat of her vehicle. She's excited about her first job as a hair dressing and even more thrilled she can prove herself worthy as caregiver for her brother.

Maddie's grumpy boss allows her to sweep the floor, and maybe cut the hair of a walk-in customer. When the preferred hairstylist is busy and the boss is gone, Maddie cuts the hair of Reuben, a VIP customer who has all the warmth of a rock. 

Thanks to Reuben, Maddie is trimmed from the salon.

Saving her brother, Kyle, from a foster care setting would have to wait. She needs a job and a home to be awarded custody of him. Reuben had to right his wrong. 

Reuben reluctantly offers Maddie a job as an assistant at his restaurant in compensation. His jealous fiance, who is in charge of hiring staff, adds to a growing messy, sticky, situation.

Struggles wouldn't be difficult to address for Maddie if she didn't have to rely on Reuben's help for every jam. To complicate issues, Kyle's foster family apply to adopt him and will be granted custody in a short time, unless she can win approval first.

Maddie tries to depend on God to help her through mounting pickles. If only she could get past her roadblocks without help from the one man she wanted to avoid . . . then again, maybe she didn't want to avoid him.

I enjoyed the humor and down to earth realism of this book and the extended Christ-like kindness of the Reuben's family.

Packed with funny situations like in the I Love Lucy Show, Sandwich with A Side of Romance is a romantic comedy guaranteed to entertain and enlighten any day. Click on the book to the left to order.

Come back on Friday and meet Krista Phillips. I will be giving away a copy of her book, AND I hope to get it autographed for you!

What book have you enjoyed reading lately?

This book was provided to me as an Advance Reader Copy for my honest review

Comments

Janice said…
I am currently reading Rain Song by Alice Wisler. It is a contemporary fiction which is really holding my interest. The sweet story is keeping me wondering what will happen between the two friends who are getting to know each other by e-mail.
Thank you, Janice. Sounds like a good read to place on my list.
Mary,

I'm most excited to visit Sandwich and frustrated that other reads keep getting in the way. But I NEED my copy signed so I think I will bring it as my airplane reading.
That could be dangerous, Julie. the book is sooooo good, you might miss a connection! :)
Krista Phillips said…
Mary!! Thank you SO much for such a sweet review!!! So glad you enjoyed visiting the streets of Sandwich!
Thanks for the company. I love to walk with friends.
Laura Frantz said…
Mary,
So good to find you have a blog here:) I see some friends and so it feels like home, lol. Waving at Julia and others! I've heard so many good things about Krista's book - the cover is in my favorite color. PINK! Makes me want to read, read, read. Anyway, thanks for touching base today. You're the best!
Yeah! Nice to have you here, Laura. I've had fun visiting with you and I'll see you over at your blog as well.
Krista Phillips said…
Laura... pink ROCKS doesn't it?!? :-)
Melody said…
I've been catching up at the library on their Deanne Gists books since getting home from Nicaragua!
I agree, Melody, Deanne's books are a fun read. Good addition to our list.
Dawn said…
Sounds like a great book. Looking forward to getting one and finding a comfortable chair!
Dawn,
So true. Thanks for walking with me today:)

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream