Skip to main content

Power that Affects Lives

The winner of yesterday's drawing for Borders of the Heart is..scroll to end of this post.

Hurricane Hazel surprised many people on October 15, 1954. She sped west across the Atlantic, slamming into Grenada, fueled up and with new energy threw her winds at Jamaica, Haiti, and Puerto Rico destroying crops and lives.

This wayward hurricane made a sharp turn up the eastern coast of the United States, stopping off at the Carolinas and Virginia before skipping up to Ontario.

Her untamed winds hurt many people both directly and indirectly.

With today's technology, we receive warnings on our cell phones. My daughter, who lives in a storm area told me her cell phone company sent her an alert to get to higher ground due to floods.

Sometimes unusual circumstances prevent an escape or a homestead is severely damaged/destroyed. I've never experienced a hurricane in any way. Quite truthfully I would not be able to include the situation in a book because I wouldn't know the experience.

Some of you have lived through hurricanes.

What does it feel like to have a hurricane tromp through your home/neighborhood/business? Where do you hide? How do you protect yourself? What does the neighborhood smell like? Does it smell like salt air? What does the wind sound like? Is it the same train sound we hear with tornadoes? How did service agencies help?

Maybe you know someone else who has had a hurricane come to their area. Please share to help the rest of us understand.

God's power is greater and affects lives as well. His power, though, is one that changes lives. When I experience God's power the air around me smells fresh, clean, floral; food tastes are vibrant, rich, tangy, worth savoring; sounds have crystal tones, replay in my mind and sooth my angst; I see something special, perhaps a star, a bug, a kind deed; and I feel happy despite a grumpy person nearby.

 **************


A fantastic idea recently came to me. One that requires your help. I hope you will join me.


There is a new tab at the top of my website called Where in the World Have We Traveled. You can check it out to see the pics I posted. Each month I would like to add two new photos from readers to that page.To give you an incentive to submit, I am having a Photo Contest:


Submit :

A photo of you at some place in an outside setting.
Ideas:  Major city, boat, rural area, mountain, skiing, swimming, hiking, lounging, and etc.


The photo needs to be:
In Color
Focused
From present or past
G rated
Belong to you

Include permission for me to post the photo
and a caption telling where the photo was taken

photos must be received by October 26th, 2012
(send your entry to my email address; mimary_vee@yahoo.com)

The two winners will be chosen  by a third party (random.org) from all eligible entrys. Their photo will be included on the page and given a choice for one of these books: 

House of Secrets by Tracie Peterson
Just Between You and Me by Jenny b. Jones
Love on the Line by Deanne Gist

The first name drawn will have first choice. Offer for USA residents only.

The winner of the drawing for Borders of the Heart is Martha A. Congratulations Martha.


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream