Skip to main content

Teddy Roosevelt vs Jim Elliot

courtesy Library of Congress
courtesy of Billy Graham Archives
Teddy Roosevelt  and Jim Elliott experienced similar situations resulting in total different outcomes.

What could these two men have in common?

What happened:
October, 1912, Teddy Roosevelt teetered in the arms of his staff outside a Milwaukee hotel, ready to give a campaign speech. An unemployed saloonkeeper shot Mr. Roosevelt in the chest only moments before. 

January, 1956 Jim Elliot stood with four other men on a beach near the Waodani Indians village in Equador ready to share their faith in Jesus Christ. Jim Ellion, Ed McCully, Roger Youderian, Pete Flemming, and Nate Saint were mortally wounded by the Waodani.

What happened next:
In most stories this would be the end but not for these two men.

Teddy Roosevelt approached his audience and opened his speech with different words than he planned: "Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don't know if you fully understand I have been shot." The crowd gasped as he unbutton his vest and revealed the bloodstained shirt. He leaned toward the microphone and softly said, "It takes more than that to kill a bull moose." 

He reached in his pocket and pulled out a blood spattered paper marred by the bullet hole. "... I was going to make a long speech...but I will do my best." Roosevelt went on to give a ninety minute speech and lived to talk about the event.

Jim Elliot and the other four missionaries with him did not defend themselves during the Waodani attack. As each man fell to his death the others reached out to the Waodani, trying to show God's love, a forgiveness, a reason to stop and hear the Gospel news. They could have run for their guns, hidden back with their other supplies, but they didn't. Shooting their attackers, even in defense, would not demonstrate God's love. The five men died that day.

The Result?
Teddy Roosevelt lived, he gained great sympathy and votes...yet in the end he lost the election.

Jim Elliot and the four other missionary friends died, but left a legacy which flourished. Rather than seek revenge against the Waodani tribe, other missionaries went back and shared God's message with them. Tribal members listened. They were amazed with the actions of Jim and the other missionaries during the attack. Because of the witness, many Waodani tribal members asked Jesus to be their Savior.

Had I stepped into Roosevelt's or Elliot's world and walked in their shoes I don't know that I would have responded as they did. Learning what they chose to do gives me strength to face my own tragedies with God's help. I respect the tenacity of both these men. They continued working toward the finish line despite tragedy. Both men reached their mark. But only the choice of  Jim and the four missionaries with him resulted in eternal gain.  

God promises to give strength to face challenges He knows we can endure. 

Please share. How has God helped you?

I'll start. I am a three time cancer survivor, excited to see what work God has planned for me in my future days.

Comments

Janice said…
I prayed thanks to God when I read you are a three time cancer survivor, Mary. That is such an awesome blessing!

As for me, my family has gone through some really difficult times, both emotionally and financially, and God has provided a way to keep us intact and provided for. Once I did not feel I had the money to go to the grocery store and buy eggs to make a recipe and about that time a neighbor called and said eggs had been on sale at the grocery, buy a carton/get one free, and she asked if I could use some. So that is my egg miracle! Sometimes God provides in the most unique ways even before we ask specifically.

Blessings,
Janice
Joy W. Doering said…
The Lord helps me every day! :) I'm a stay at home Mom, and some mornings, I just don't want to get up and face the same-old routine. He is so faithful to remind me that his mercies are new every morning, and that he has a wonderful adventure waiting for me if I will just trust him enough to get out of bed! :)
Janice,
I love your egg story! God's blessings are not only wonderful they are always in the right time. :)
Joy,
Some days this is such a difficult thing to do. Trials overwhelm us and hold us to our bed. Only with God's grace can we pull ourselves up and find His blessings. I will pray for you. thanks for sharing today.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream