Skip to main content

The Cook Who Changed the World


One of the cooks who shipped off to war from Fort Riley, Kansas had a cold. No one thought much of this new recruit's sniffles. 

After landing with his unit in Europe, his symptoms flamed into a severe cold. He finished serving dinner one evening, cleaned up and chose to stop by the infirmary to let the doc take a look.

"We'll need to isolate you," the doctor said. "You have something more than a cold. Not sure what, yet." The cook developed a deep cough, one that wouldn't stop, and his skin turned blue. His symptoms grew worse every minute.

An hour later some of his buddies joined him. They looked terribly sick. The cook didn't have the strength to speak with them, but he wondered if he looked as bad as they did. After five weeks, the cook's "cold" spread to 1,127 soldiers in his unit, forty-six of which died. 

Back in the United States, the cold had spread to other forts preparing to send recruits to Europe for service in WWI. Their sniffles had been ignored as was the cook's. The troops filled transports bound for Europe for war duty. 

Soon French soldiers experienced initial symptoms of this cold now referred to as influenza. The soldiers spread the flu to residents and on it traveled throughout Europe. 

The flu bug kindled its work in Spain. There it earned its name, the Spanish Flu, in a country not yet participating in the war. Hardly a country in the world became exempt from the impact of the deadly virus, which took five percent of the 1918 world's population.

A second and third wave of the same flu roared around the world. What brought it to a stop? The end of the war. When the soldiers returned home, a few last outbreaks came, but the flu's  power screeched to a stop.

Why do you think this happened?

How difficult is it to spread something around the world? Not so much in the days of the Internet, but in 1918 they didn't have Internet. 

As powerful as the Spanish flu became to ultimately steal lives, we have an opportunity to change the world in a positive way. Each time we tell someone God loves them and sent his Son to pay the punishment for their sin, we share Good News which can revive lives for all eternity.

What has created a stir in your life?
How can you create a stir for the Gospel in the lives around you?

Comments

Janice said…
Many things create a stir in me. I look out my window now and see God's creation; my heart is stirred. I go to church and hear the message; my heart is stirred. I read a fiction or nonfiction book by a Christian author; my heart is stirred. I read blogs and devotions by Christian authors; my heart is stirred.

I can take part in stirring the hearts of others in like manner.

Blessings, Janice
Sorry, Janice, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant how can you create a stir toward spreading the Love of God, the Gospel.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream