Skip to main content

Comfy, Friendly, Warm-Home

Even though we signed the papers for our new home several days ago, I feel like this is the day our new house becomes really ours. What made the difference? The movers are delivering our furniture.
courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net

Watching a video about a place and going to the place are two totally different experiences. A video can cause me to want to go somewhere, but not leave me with the sensation I had been there, no matter how big the screen is. Today, I'm not looking at a photo on line or recalling my visit with the realtor, I am walking in our house.

As the boxes pour out of the truck and fill the house, making narrow mazes to walk through rooms and halls, our house will sprout a kernel of life. One by one those boxes will be emptied and items will be put into their new home. Cleaners will wash away the scents of the last owners.

We'll wake the first morning and wonder where we are. Walk to the kitchen and hope the coffee pot was packed in the top box along with the filters and coffee. Look out the window and see a new setting and remember, this is our new home.

A new place for morning devotions will be chosen, the best place to relax will be picked, the work place to do bills and other paperwork selected. Churches, bank, grocery store will soon feel like the obvious place to go.

Our new home will feel comfy, friendly, warm, and right.

Some day, I will see my eternal home. I wonder how it will will look, smell, feel. And what I will do. I wonder if I will be able to make friends right away. I wonder how long it will take to feel comfy, friendly, warm, and right. I wonder if my Father will say, "Well done," or not. 

These uncertainties are normal. God knows we have finite minds. But the wonderful surprise He has for us is going to far exceed all our expectations.

What makes your house feel like home?

Comments

Janice said…
Our house feels like home when I see the colors, hear the sounds, smell the foods cooking, and taste the handfull of chocolate chips from our Sam's Club giant bag of chips.

I bought the house "as is" and it remains "as is" only worse after so many years of living in it. It needs a lot of maintenance work, and that means it has its quirks with all the "as is" adjustments that I am use to working around. All those quirks make me know I am at home, in a temporary place, because heaven is my true home and it will be perfect!
Thanks, Janice.
The spot my computer landed in the new house has a creaky floor. I think I'm going to like the sound.
I wonder if we will have computers in heaven.
Cynthia Herron said…
We custom built our home 13 years ago. We watched our oldest grow into manhood and graduate college. Our youngest was an energetic toddler and is a beautiful middle-schooler now. Our family has shared so many wonderful memories here. It's not "things" and "stuff." It's our family's words, voices, and the "scent" of happy that have made our house a home.

Beautiful post, Mary!
Cynthia,
What good words. The scent is important. Have you ever walked somewhere and smelled a scent and had a sudden related family memory? Yeah me too. The first day after we unpacked the dishes I made homemade chicken soup, the one the family always loves. I did it to get our family favorite scents in the house. Hubby smiled.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream