Skip to main content

Fabulous Friday Feature-Erica Vetsch

Today I welcome a super author, kind friend, and one who is a blessing to many: Erica


Erica is giving away an autographed copy of her book: 
 A Bride Sews with Love in Needles, California, see below.




Erica shares her warm smile around the Christian writing community. She is fully engaged in reaching out to others on facebook, twitter, and on her blog. Twelve of her books have been published and a thirteenth will be out in December.

I asked her to tell us about her writing journey and was very happy to receive this great response:








When Does Inspiration Come?

Recently a friend of mine asked on her blog “What inspires you?” I loved all the answers. Some readers were inspired by music, some by walking in the mountains, some by reading great fiction, or looking at the sky. After some thought, I realized that my most inspirational times, the times when my imagination is most nimble, are those precious moments at night before I fall asleep.

courtesy
 freeditigalphotos.com
For as long as I can remember, I have daydreamed myself to sleep at night. When the house is quiet, everything is dark, and I can just close my eyes and let my mind drift to magical lands and places, peopled with characters I wanted to hang out with, adventures I wanted to take. As a child, I continued stories that I’d read, riding The Black Stallion, nursing patients with Cherry Ames, pioneering with Laura Ingalls Wilder.

It was in those precious moments that I learned to spin my own stories, and even now that’s when I work out plot problems, talk to characters, or imagine settings. My mind is free from distractions, noise, electronics, tasks, and to-do lists.

It is at this time that I can overcome writer’s block by shedding doubt and letting myself explore ideas that simply won’t come when facing a blinking cursor and a blank page. It’s when I can sink into the story and eventually into slumber.

How about you? When does your inspiration come? What inspires you?

About The Book: (From the back cover)

A Bride Sews With Love in Needles, California

A Harvey Girl waits on True Love.

With her brother already on the front lines in France, Meghan Thorson becomes a Harvey Girl in Needles, California. Ready and willing to wait on the hundreds of doughboys heading for Europe, Meghan deems this service her way of contributing to the war effort. When a Red Cross representative breezes through town, Meghan embraces the challenge to do even more, committing to completing a Red Cross signature quilt and canvassing the town for donations to the cause.

Horseman Caleb McBride makes his living by training stock for the US Cavalry and keeps his pride by remaining a loner. When Meghan meets Caleb, she senses something mysterious and wounded about him, piquing her curiosity. But after the townsfolk scorn him as a coward and a profiteer, Caleb feels her pity and becomes even more guarded.

When Needles is hit by an influenza epidemic and the Harvey hotel is made into a temporary hospital, Meghan discovers Caleb’s shameful secret.

Will both Caleb and Meghan find a way to kill their pride before their chance of love rips them apart at the seams?


Author Bio: Erica Vetsch is a transplanted Kansan now residing in Minnesota. She loves history and reading, and is blessed to be able to combine the two by writing historical fiction set in the American West. Whenever she’s not following flights of fancy in her fictional world, she’s the company bookkeeper for the family lumber business, mother of two terrific teens, wife to a man who is her total opposite and soul-mate, and avid museum patron.

Find Me On Facebook
Find Me On Twitter
Find My Blog On the Write Path



Thank you Erica for sharing your journey with us, today.

Reader, if you have read one of Erica's books, please tell us which one? What has inspired you?


To enter the contest for an autographed copy of Erica's book A Bride Sews with Love in Needles, California, become a follower of Mary's website, if you aren't already (see the upper right corner of this blog to join). And leave a comment. Please also include your email address (username (at) yahoo (dot) com) so I can contact you if you are the winner. The winner will be selected by a third party, random.org, and will be announced on Monday. U.S. residents only. 


Comments

Heather Marsten said…
Hi, you asked where I get inspired. One of the places my ideas come is in the shower. Guess that is one place where I can't multitask. It's where God deals with me too.
Heather,
I think many would agree with you. I hadn't thought about not being able to multitask, but it's true. Thanks for stopping by today.
Erica Vetsch said…
Hi, Heather!

I find inspiration in the shower too! And nowhere to write things down!

:)
Keli Gwyn said…
I'm inspired by many things, among them old photographs, historical monuments, and reference books.

Please don't enter me in the drawing. I've read A Bride Sews with Love, and I loved it.
Oh me too, Keli.
I disliked the direction my work was going. had to leave the house for something and on the drive...POOF the solution presented itself. Usually I would sit her and stew trying to come up with the answer. God knew. :)
Erica Vetsch said…
Keli, I love reading history books and perusing old photo albums too. :)
Lindsay Harrel said…
I only met Erica briefly at ACFW, but from what I've seen from our interactions online, she is such a sweet soul.

What inspires me? Music. Reading a good story. Life, because it touches something deep inside of me and that makes me want to write.

God and Scripture, because without Him, I'd have no reason to write.

Hope you ladies are having a great weekend!
I am having a great weekend, Lindsay, especially here at my website while chatting with Erica. So glad you joined us and hopefully took some of the virtual chocolate.
I so agree about God and the Scriptures being the best inspiration. He is the Great Creator.
Thanks for stopping by, Lindsay.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream