Skip to main content

Giving Thanks At the Right Time


Winner of Jim Rubart's book Soul Gate is...scroll to the bottom of this post.

Joni and her husband Ken
photo courtesy of http://www.joniandfriends.org
I had a frustrating time the other day. Needed to get out of the building and feel the sunshine. While doing a few errands, I turned on the radio, clicked a few stations and happened upon Joni Eareckson Tada's program. 

This woman has been a constant inspiration to me. At age seventeen, she went with some friends to a lake and swam out to a floating dock. They soaked in the sun for a while then she decided to go back in the water. She stepped to the edge, held her hands in a diving position above her head, bent over, and dove into the water. 

Joni and her friends didn't know the water was too shallow for diving in that area. Her friends became concerned when she didn't surface. Several dove into the water looking for her and brought her wounded body to the surface. Her neck had been broken in the dive, turning her into a quadriplegic. 

Her time of coming to terms with the permanency of the disability eventually came and in its place she gained strength and determination to serve God in any way she could. 


Family Retreats for the Disabled
photo courtesy of http://www.joniandfriends.org

Over the next forty years, Joni's ministry impacted thousands, perhaps millions of people. Her drawings and paintings are done using a brush or pencil in her mouth. She has a program in which old wheelchairs can be donated, fixed up and taken to needy children in third world countries. Rather than continue a list of the many programs serving the handicap under her umbrella, I'll give the link and let you see for yourself.  Joni and Friends.


Wheelchairs for the World photo courtesy of http://www.joniandfriends.org 



Joni has lived in her wheelchair as a quad for forty years. And in all that time, I have never heard her complain or whine about her situation. During the particular program I listened to on my day of frustration, Joni told about a young family. The husband was suffering from cancer and their finances were depleted. The wife's letter focused on her thanks to God for the blessings they still had. Joni then showed compassion for the young family's true hardships, never spoken of in the letter.

What struck me most was the Christ-like example of a person who hasn't walked, held a book, been able to have a child, must be  completely dependent on others for everything including eating, and etc, showed great compassion for a young family's plight without ever calling attention to her own issues.

She gave thanks for the wife's strength in the situation. Needless to say, my bundle full of frustrations fizzled. Was it a coincidence that I heard Joni's thankful comments at that time? Would it have meant as much if someone I didn't know said the same thing? No to both.

It's easy to tell someone to be thankful. It means so much more to live it.

How can you show your thankfulness for what God has given?


Congratulations to Lindsay Harrel winner of Jim Rubart's book, Soul Gate

Comments

Lindsay Harrel said…
I'm excited to read Jim's book!

And you know what...stories like these remind me of just how blessed I am. I take my health for granted. I take a lot of stuff for granted.
Lindsay,
I think we all take our health for granted until something happens. :)
Can't wait to hear what you think of Soul's Gate.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream