Skip to main content

Walking in a Professional's Steps

photo courtesy of freedigital photos.net
A professionals make a business transaction pleasant. They talk with respect, shine a smile-no matter how they feel, do the job-even if they'd rather be fishing, and help those they serviced-happy they did business with them.

Every Friday I invite a professional to this website to talk about their career journey. I must admit, each one who has joined me thus far has provided a wonderful post, stimulating our hears and thoughts to expand our world and flavor it with their experiences.

Mom's are professionals, too. Have you seen a baby smile after being fed, returned to play after a diaper change, or nestled on her lap? Yes a satisfied customer in  mini size.

I've seen professionalism in all walks of careers, included cashiers, you know, the one who puts up with the crabby customer in front of you who complains they've been overcharged two cents, or the fact he/she had to wait in line five minutes. 

To me professionalism is:

* mastering your job
* displaying loyalty to company, 
* trustworthy to be left alone to do the job
* willing to learn more of the job than taught 
* and expand the job by taking duties to a deeper level
* focused
* good at time management
* rarely absent
* gets along with co-workers
* pleasant disposition
* anxious to learn what is required at the next level


The list could probably go on for pages but you have the idea. Do you leave professional footprints? Have you stepped into the world of a professional no matter what your task in life may be?

Two weeks-two weeks.
Have you seen the movie "Money Pit?" The construction company workers promise to have a house fixed in two weeks. The two weeks lasted months. We are trying to buy a home. It has taken way longer than the thirty days. The realtor and financial institution have said we will close in two weeks several times. Ah huh. Needless to say, the two weeks fib is not looking like professionalism.

The bottom line, when you agree to do something, whether it is changing a diaper, teaching a Sunday School class, writing a novel, selling a car, doing taxes, serving as a doctor, nurse, lawyer, professor, etc. do it with professionalism.

Whatever we do in word or deed, do all for the glory of God.

What other qualities are expected of professionals? 

Would you consider becoming a follower and helping me reach my goal by Christmas? Directions are under the "About Me" section on the right. Thanks:)

Comments

Janice said…
Hi, Mary! I would follow twice if I could because your posts are always so interesting.

Attitude makes or breaks the image of professionalism for me. No matter what the business or chore, a pleasant attitude that is willing to go the extra mile to get things right is most important.

When I took an upper level accounting class on Accounting Theory we studied about the on-going business principle. That was the most important idea I got from
the class. The business or person should do things in such a manner that the customer will want to do business again. Many low wage earners don't understand that they are suppose to be treating their employer's clients nicely so they will return. That is one way that Chick-fil-A has excelled in their employee training. Customers are greeted nicely and served with a smile. People want to return time and time again.
I find the same fantastic customer service in City Brew, a coffee shop chain in Montana and Salad Creation. Al customers get a shout out as they enter and leave.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream