Skip to main content

Advent-Simeon

The winner of Julie Lessman's book is...scroll to the bottom

Simeon went to the Temple as he had many times before. The day didn't seem different. The sunrise nothing special, he had his breakfast, dressed, and walked the usual way. He greeted the other priests and strained to focus his aged eyes at other sounds in the Temple area.

The people entered the Temple some with their sin sacrifices others with young babies to carry out the ritual of the law.  

Mary and Joseph entered the gate with their baby. They walked near Simeon. His eyes widened. His heart pounded with excitement. This child... he gasped, this child was the one he had prayed and longed to see. 

Simeon held out his arms, waiting for Mary to hand him her baby. The little one cood. He smiled and blew raspberry bubbles at the priest.

Simeon drew the little one closer to his body and hugged him. He could not contain himself. A tear dripped down his cheek and he looked toward the sky 

God, you can now release your servant;
photo courtesy of visualbiblealive.com
    release me in peace as you promised.
With my own eyes I’ve seen your salvation;
    it’s now out in the open for everyone to see:
A God-revealing light to the non-Jewish nations,
    and of glory for your people Israel.

Mary and Joseph didn't say a word. He looked at their faces and saw their surprise. He said to them: 

This child marks both the failure and
    the recovery of many in Israel,
A figure misunderstood and contradicted—
    the pain of a sword-thrust through you—
But the rejection will force honesty,

    as God reveals who they really are.

He handed baby Jesus back to Mary. She looked back without saying a word. But her eyes showed she thought about Simeon's words.  

Simeon placed his wrinkled hand on the baby's head and smiled. He had never felt so blessed before.

###
Every baby is a miracle, a gift from God. A treasure.

Baby Jesus was God's Son, the One sent to save us from our sins and provide the only way for us and our children to go to heaven to be with HIm.

If you are interested in learning more about how you, too, can go to heaven, email me: mimary_vee@yahoo.com

May your have a joyful time celebrating Jesus' birthday. God's blessings on you.

Help me color in our word picture of Simeon from above. What else do you think happened that moment?


Merry Christmas Everyone

The winner of Julie Lessman's book is Amanda Chavez. Congratulations, Amanda!

Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream