Skip to main content

Fabulous Friday Feature- Rhonda Gibson



Today I welcome an authoress who has become a wonderul friendRhonda Gibson. 




Enter to win an autographed copy of Rhonda Gibson's book: 


As you can see from the smiles in her pictures Rhonda has come to see God's timing in her life. As I spoke with her about the journey God has led her on, she expressed joy.

And so we share with you, her answer to my weekly question: How has God led you on your writing journey:






God’s Timing Is Everything

I started writing when I was very young. My earliest novel was written when I was 12 years old. I loved reading Hardy Boy novels by Franklin W. Dixon and wanted to write one, too. I hand wrote about 400 pages and gave them to my mother to keep. Hey, I was a kid I had no dreams of publishing the book. I just wanted to write it 

Then it was many years later that I decided I wanted to write, again. My sweet husband bought me a typewriter and I started several pieces but with two babies barely 13 months apart, I soon gave up. Don’t get me wrong I did not give up with bitterness; I just felt in my soul that it wasn’t the right time. My babies needed me more than I needed to write.

When the kids were four and five years old, I joined a small writers group. It was mainly composed of ladies who had put off their writing until their families were long gone. A friend, from that group, talked me into going to a Children’s Writing Conference. My friend was 84 years young at the time and her family wouldn’t let her go unless she found someone to drive her. I offered to take her but she’d only let me, if I entered the short story contest. I wrote a short story called, The Legend of Hoowha. Mom took my kids for the weekend and away she and I went. Imagine my surprise when I won second place.

Again, life stepped in and I put the writing aside. My sweet husband was going to school full time and working full time. I was working full time and wanted to spend my evening with the kids. I just didn’t have time to write. How many of you are with me on this? However, I did make time to read and was drawn to sweet romances. I loved the Harlequin sweet lines and dreamed of writing for them, someday.


Time passed and at times I felt like I was going Daffy waiting. I wanted to write, I needed to write! I joined writer’s groups, I made writing friends, joined critique groups but I always had something more pressing going on that needed to be done. I did submit to publishers and as I did all these things, my writing was growing. I was growing. I was learning patience and it took a LONG time.

God has His timing and when it came, I was ready. In 2002 I felt the tug to once again get serious about writing. Thanks to American Christian Fiction Writers, I “met” online one of my favorite authors. She helped me team up with three other wonderful writers and in 2003 I was awarded my first writing contract from Barbour Books at the ACFW conference in Houston, Texas.  

God has been good and I’ve been blessed with more contracts since then. In 2011 He opened the doors at Harlequin, my dream publisher, and allowed me to sell my first Love Inspired Historical to them. My journey took patience but I know His timing is always the best and I give him all the glory for my writing career.

God has been VERY good to me. Not only have I been blessed through my interaction with editors and fellow Christian writers, but my fans as well. Each letter and email I receive from someone who appreciates my work is a God-kissed gift.

Books by Rhonda Gibson:
The Marshal's Promise
The Midwife's Legacy
Groom by Arrangement



To enter the contest for an autographed copy of Rhonda Gibson's book, leave a comment and become a follower of this site if you aren't already. Include email address in your comment. U.S. residents only. Winner announced next week.

Thank you, Rhonda Gibson for Joining us This Weekend!

Reader, Rhonda has shared how God has walked with her, asked her to wait, then encouraged her to renew her love for writing. Are you currently working on your passion? Has God show you this is your time?

You can find Rhonda's at these sites https://www.amazon.com/author/rhondagibson

http://www.rhondagibson.net  http://recipesfromrhondascollection.blogspot.com/

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks Mary for having Rhonda here. I loved her story. I would love to win Rhonda's book. And, I am a follower of this site. Please put my name in the drawing.
Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com
susanlulu said…
I follow by e-mail and "like" on facebook. I also like to write - very short true stories about my late husband who left this earth at the young age of 49. God has been GREAT, though, and I am coping with my loss. I would love to win a copy of this book. I am having foot surgery next month and will have a long recovery time. I would enjoy reading this book during that time. It sounds like a wonderful book. Thanks for the opportunity.
susanlulu@yahoo.com
Rhonda Gibson said…
Thank you Mary Vee for having me :) and thank you ladies for stopping by to read my story.

Susan... I'll be praying for a swift recovery for you.
This sounds really good.Loved the interview with Rhonda. Sounds like Rhonda was one busy lady. But God has blessed her. Would love to win your book. Thanks for the interview to get to know Rhonda.
Blessings
joeym11@frontier.com
Wendy Newcomb said…
Great interview and I agree, God IS everything.

I am now following this blog by GFC (wfnren) and subscribed by email

wfnren(at)aol(dot)com
Patty said…
Thanks for sharing Rhonda! So glad the time was finally right for you to become published, I look forward to reading this book.

I am a follower.
pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com
Debra Clopton said…
Great to hear your story Rhonda! God's timing was sooo perfect for me too. I was at that conference in Houston and remember you recieving that contract :) what a cool moment!
So glad you are part of the Love Inspired team now :)
Maxie,
So nice to see you again this week. Of course you are entered for the book drawing:)
Susan,
You certainly are enduring so much. You are definitely entered for the book drawing. I am so glad we could see you today. Blessings on a quick recovery.
Hey Rhonda, It's fun to read about your past. It's cool that God made your dream of writing book come true, but only after you put your family first and learned to have patience. Too often we try to rush things when God is saying, "Wait."

I love the guy on your cover. Yum!

fictionfan1 [at] tulsacoxmail [com]



Diana,
So nice to see you again this week. You are definitely entered to win the book.
Hi Wendy,
So nice to see you here today, and welcome. I look forward to seeing you again, and you are definitely entered to win Rhonda's book.
Patty,
Again, nice to have you here with us today. Sure love chatting with you each time you come. You are entered in the book drawing.
Debra,
What fun to keep in contact with our friends, and to remember wonderful events. I'm so glad you stopped by today. Hope you enjoyed the virtual coffee:)
Rhonda Gibson said…
Thanks everyone for stopping by... Deb that was one conference I will never forget. It's one of the times I know I received a God kiss :)
Hi Mary, thanks for having Rhonda as a guest today. She has the "knack" and thankfully the patience to hone her craft. Her books are worth waiting for them to hit the racks.

Lin Harris
lindafarmerharris@gmail.com
Missy Tippens said…
Great interview! I totally agree, Rhonda. I wrote for over 10 years before selling in God's perfect timing. :)

I, too, love that cover!
Hi Linda,
Welcome! We just put out the virtual tea. Hope you had a cup.
The skills you mention, patience and knack, are skills I too want to perfect. So nice to meet you today. You are entered for the book drawing. Hope to see you again.
Missy,
HI!
Hey, I wanted to tell you I just received you book and am so excited to read it next. Ten years may seem long, but a training time so worth investing, right?
Missy Tippens said…
Glad you got it, Mary!

As for the time to learn, YES! But I have to admit that at the time I wasn't very patient. :)
I don't think any of us are at the time. We wish we were, we even may pretend we are...but in hindsight, we aren't. Thankfully, we have a loving Father who is :)
Janice said…
Really nice to hear about the God who often makes His children wait for the best. He has His reasons for putting us through the waiting seasons. The waiting is the gathering season. He gives time for life experiences to enrich, and for learning experiences to inform. Also, He means for "all things to work together for the good..." The Bible is serious when the instruction to wait on the Lord is uttered. Thanks for a good portrait of an excellent and fruitful waiter. I would love to read any of your books! It would be a wonderful thing to do during my waiting season!

Blessings, Janice
jsmithg@hotmail.com
Merrillee said…
Rhonda, I loved reading your writing journey. I could relate to much of it. My writing journey is still continuing. I try to remember to put each story in God's hands.
Janice,
Good words. And yes, you are entered for the book drawing. So nice to hear from you today:)
Merrilee,
I think we learn so much more, and our stories are more powerful when we remember to put each story in God's hands. Thank so much for stopping by today. Loved seeing you again.
Mindy Obenhaus said…
Love this, Rhonda! Things are always so much sweeter when we wait on His timing.
Yes, so true, Mindy. Thanks for stopping by.
Yes, so true, Mindy. Thanks for stopping by.
Rhonda Gibson said…
I think we will always be on a writing journey, no matter how many books we right. God is so good to see us through these times. He's still working on me and I will be on my journey for the rest of my life.

Thank you all so much for stopping by.
pol said…
Hello Rhonda,
I hear this a lot of how writers wanted to write but never got started into getting published for awhile. I too think when is right for you, God will make it happen. I am glad that you kept the "want to write" in your soul and it did come out when the time was right.
I enjoyed your comments of your journey.

Paula O(kyflo130@yahoo.com)
Laurie Kingery said…
Rhonda, enjoyed reading the story of your writing journey!
Blessings, Laurie Kingery
Paula,
So nice to see you. It sounds like you have had a similar journey with something you enjoy doing. What words of wisdom. Hope to see you again.
Laurie,
Thanks for stopping by today. We enjoyed chatting with you!
pol said…
Mary, received your note about following, I have been a follower of this site. I try to stop every now and then and when I saw Rhonda wanted to comment. Just to let you know.
Linda Ortiz said…
Thank you, Rhonda for your story. It is a reminder for me that it is never to late to accomplish your dreams! It will always be God's timing, not ours! :-)
Nice interview! I am now a follower. My own writer journey has had its twists and turns and I am currently working on a Civil War fiction ebook novella release as part of an anthology that will begin in April. I have other MSes out on submission. All in God's good time, like Rhonda said!
Carrie,
I sure hope the next step of your journey comes soon. Having MSes out on submission is exciting, thrilling, and nail biting. Can't wait to hear any progress. God's blessings on your work. Thanks for becoming a follower!
Thank you Paula,
Sorry, I didn't see your picture in the followers. Sure glad you wrote me back. Thanks:)
Rhonda Gibson said…
This has been so much fun! Thank you everyone for stopping by. To those who have already bought Groom by Arrangement,I hope you enjoy it. Good luck to everyone, I look forward to sending someone a book soon :)
Shopgirl said…
This looks like a great book! I'm an email follower. shopgirl152nykiki(at)yahoo(dot)com

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream