Skip to main content

Spring Break


Spring break season is here. 

Some schools had their breaks last week, some the week before. 

The reason for spring break? Not exactly sure, But this I know, few complain :)

As a kid and a college student, I loved spring break. I wish my job let me have a spring break, too!

My sister runs an after school day care in the art room of a school. 

Last Friday she took her students out for the first warm day they've had since last fall. The kids tossed their coats aside and ran to the playground.

She'd asked the children to bring their backpacks out with them, instead of leaving them in the after school care room like usual. One little girl said, "But my mom works until 5. I know I won't be picked up early." Smart comment because a snack is served in the classroom after playtime.

My sister nodded. "I understand. Will you bring your backpack anyway?" The girl reluctantly obeyed. Once outside she forgot her concern and ran to the slide.

A short time later a boy's parent arrived. The boy pouted. "I wanted to play outside." 

My sister cheerfully laughed. "Guess what? When you go through that door, your spring break begins!" Nothing else needed to be said. The boy grabbed his backpack and ran ahead of his parent to the door.

Needless to say, and you probably already guessed, the little girl's mother took time off work and picked her up early. 

The other children left with their parents earlier than the scheduled time as well. My sister knew they would. Who wouldn't want to leave early for spring break?


Spring Break
A time to 

play
laugh
sleep in
rest
ride a bike
go to a park
take a vacation
eat lunch at home or a restaurant
photo taken by Mary Vee





The idea of spring break didn't just happen in someone's mind. God put the thought there.

He knows we need a time to regroup, change the pace, play, giggle, sing, laugh, leap, jump, run, sleep in, and thousands of other things.

What will you/would you do during the Spring Break God gives you?

photo at top of page courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net

Comments

Pam K. said…
I work at a school. Today was our first day back after having spring break last week. My daughter took a few days off from her nanny job as well so we could spend some time together. It's her first year after graduating from college so it's hard to get used to the idea of no more spring breaks for her! Besides the time we spent together, I also spent time reading. The days of sleeping later and relaxing were such a blessing. But, having work is a blessing as well so I don't mind going back to work. Through my actions, I try to share God's love with the kids and adults I work with. I'm learning a lot from these special kids.
Welcome Pam.
Special kids have so much to share.
So glad you had a great spring break, and being able to spend time with you daughter is extra nice. Spring is a time for many to celebrate family time together. What books did you read?
Blessings on you and your servant work with the children.
Janice said…
It has turned cold here so even though we are well into spring and most of the flowers have already sprung, it seems like winter again with a touch of snow in the air today. It would be nice to see the beach for a spring break. We always go to the beach at the end of Dec. or beginning of Jan. so it would be a treat to see it in the spring.
Here too. I think I will close my eyes and stand on the heater. Maybe it will feel like the beach.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream