Skip to main content

The Number One Best Seller

Most if not every day has received some special meaning on our calendars, something significance for us to celebrate. You could google today and find it set aside as the ______ day. Most of these don't impress me.

I am, however, wowed with December 25th-Christmas my favorite holiday, Easter, major holidays like that.


I learned something interesting this last Sunday. March 10th had been marked as International Bible day. Now there is something I can get behind.

My pastor gave a long list of amazing facts about the Bible, including but not limited to: 

The Bible is the number one best selling book.

I tried, but couldn't write the list he gave fast enough. Some of the things I remembered you probably already knew like: 

40 human authors, 

Blood has been shed to preserve it. 

Stories that brought our Bible together are compelling.  

From Psalm 19:10-14

God’s Word is better than a diamond,
    better than a diamond set between emeralds.
You’ll like it better than strawberries in spring,
    better than red, ripe strawberries 
There’s more: God’s Word warns us of danger
    and directs us to hidden treasure.
Otherwise how will we find our way?
    Or know when we play the fool?

The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;
 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;
 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
 More to be desired are they than gold,
Yea, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Moreover by them Your servant is warned,

And in keeping them there is great reward.

**
After giving the list, my pastor asked, What if the Bible was treated like our cell phone.

Would we rush back home to get it after leaving the house without it? 
Would we stop a conversation with someone to listen to it's message.
Would we keep it close at all times and check for new messages throughout the day.

Would we?

Happy Bible day to you.

Reader: If Bible day were a celebrated holiday in your home, how would you celebrate it. Let's share some fun ideas we can all start as new traditions.:)

Comments

Janice said…
1. Scavenger hunt for a Bible
2. Bible drill to see who can find the books most quickly
3. Pinata filled not with candy, but with bible verse treasures.
4. Pottery painting with favorite Bible verse applied to items
5. Come dressed as your favorite Bible character
6. Play Biblopoly (sp?)
7. Watch movies about Biblical events
8. Bible reading marathon
9. Volunteering time with ministry that distributes Bibles to prisons
10.Hour of prayer devoted to praying for more people to become daily Bible readers

Lots of ways to celebrate the Bible! It is worth it. Thanks for sharing from that wonderful sermon, Mary. Good one!
Janice,
These are fabulous ideas! It would be difficult to choose which ones. Number 9 might be difficult. There are several rules to participating in this. But the rest would be fairly easy to do. Thanks:)
Janice said…
Mary, I thought of #9 because Christian Library International just had a call for volunteers to come into their offices and stamp Bibles and books with their name and contact information about Bible studies they offer. That was was I was thinking about specifically that generated that thought. A person or group would have to travel to make that happen so it is not practical for most people, but it would be a worthy day to spend in travel and stamping time to help along those lines.
Janice said…
Oh, my! What a lot of was! What WAS I thinking? "That was WHAT I was thinking" LOL!
Oh, I see. Now I understand.
When the my Gideon Auxiliary group planned to go into the women's prison, we had to do follow so many steps. We were not allowed to bring purses in, the Bibles to be in a certain condition, we had to give our ID's and several other things. Even after following all their directions, we would arrive at the prison and find out the prisoners had a "bad day". For our protection they wouldn't let us in. This after finding a day the whole group could plan to go. We did eventually get in once or twice.
LOL
Fingers sometimes type faster than the mind and visa versa.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream