Skip to main content

Fabulous Friday Feature-Joselyn Vaughn





Today I welcome an author who has chosen to give a portion of the proceeds from her recent book, Climbing Heartbreak Hill, to One Fund Boston to help those who were injured.  She is a Christ-like lady who can warm your heart: Joselyn Vaughn

Enter to win Joselyn's book,
 Sucker for a Hot Rod
Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter.



I met Joselyn when I moved to Michigan and joined the local ACFW chapter. We immediately connected and I found what a wonderful friend she was. When talking with her I asked her to share how God has led her on her journey. This is what she answered:



How God Has Lead Me on My Writing Journey


It can be simply described as ‘in His time.’

And as much as I want to struggle against that and have things happen when I want them to, God’s timing has been best.

In high school and college, I could never fit writing classes into my schedule. My parents believed I had some talent and allowed me to enroll in a correspondence course which taught me an abundance about story structure, but I never had time to do anything with it.

The dream lingered, but was buried under grad school, a new job, and all the other things of life. Every now and then, it would pop to the surface. I would take an online writing class, but never went much farther than the assignments. I knew I wanted to write, but I didn’t know what.

One day, my co-worker and I were discussing a story idea related to some things that had happened at our library. I went home at lunch and started writing. A month or so later, I was searching for program ideas for the library and decided to try a writing group. I received a quick response from W.S. Gager, who had taken a leadership class with me a few years before. She was writing, too. Did we want to meet?

We started meeting weekly. The writing group at the library took off. We met a lot of aspiring writers that encouraged us to keep going.  From that group, Tess Grant, J.Q. Rose, W.S. Gager and I formed a core group, determined to see our work published. As I came closer to finishing my novel, I started sending queries to agents. There were a few nibbles, but no offers.

I stopped working at the library when my twins were born, but kept writing. Since no agents offered contracts, I sent queries to a couple editors, but figured the manuscript was destined from burial among the dust bunnies and dog hair under my bed. Then one of the editors offered me a contract.

Since then I’ve written and contracted six books. With my kids as preschoolers, writing gives me an outlet to keep my mind functioning amid the repeated questions about when snack time is and when we are going to Grandma’s house. Not having an agent, also gives me the flexibility to work at my own pace. I don’t have deadlines looming while the kids get sick; I can work around their schedule.

I’ve also found publishers are interested in what I am writing, not something like what I am writing where I have to add scenes or situations that I’m not comfortable writing about. I’m writing sweet romances that I can share with my family and friends and even my mother (who still has issues with what I write, but I suppose that’s what mothers are for).

As I look back, if anything had happened differently, I could have deadlines that I was overstressed about, travel commitments that would take me away from my kids and their special events, or be pressured to write things that I wasn’t comfortable with. As I look back, it’s easy to see that God is guiding my career and putting the right people there when I needed them.

While at times I wish there was more money or that I could write faster and my career would take off, right now God had given me what I can handle.

My Bible study has been studying the book of Exodus and how God told the Israelites that He would deliver them from his oppression in Egypt, yet they had to wait through all the plagues (I’m not comparing writing to locusts and hail.). But I imagine the people were wondering when their deliverance was going to come. Later when the Egyptians were chasing them across the Red Sea, He told the Israelites to be still. Both are good reminders when I wish my career was on a steeper trajectory.


I live in the Great Lakes state with my husband, three rambunctious children and two barking Beagles (I suppose that is redundant.) When not suffering the woes of potty training three toddler/preschoolers, I enjoy reading, running (sometimes it's fleeing the craziness at home), reconstructing clothing, thrift store shopping and surfing Pinterest.com. (I spend way too much time there and am getting all kinds of exciting ideas for projects for my husband to do. He is less than thrilled by this.)

I love writing romance because I enjoy stories where everything works out all right in the end and the main characters have a happily ever after. My stories are set in small towns with quirky characters that take on a life of their own.

Contact Links:
Twitter: @joselynvaughn


To enter the contest for a copy of Joselyn's book: "Sucker for a Hot Rod" (this will be a pdf copy):
leave a comment (and email address)
and become a follower of this site if you aren't already.
Winner announced on my facebook page.

Thank you, Joselyn, for Joining us This Weekend!


The road to publication has different routes. Joselyn found one without an agent. Which shows me God knows our needs, our understandings, and helps us complete the goal He's given in a way we can handle. 

How has God guided you to complete a difficult task?

Comments

Cynthia Herron said…
So enjoyed learning more about you, Joselyn! What an inspiring path you've had. (And I'm with you--isn't it grand when we don't have to compromise our beliefs/value system just to write in scenes contrary to Godly principles?!)

Waving at you, too, Mary!

Have a super weekend, ladies!
Waving back, Cynthia.
So nice to see you today.
One of the ways God has guided me to complete a task is to visit with all who stop by my website:) I am so thankful for all of you.
Joselyn Vaughn said…
Thanks for stopping by, Cynthia!
Joselyn Vaughn said…
Mary, thanks so much for having me!
Definitely my honor and privilege, Joselyn. God is blessing your writing ministry.
Lovely interview. Good luck with the book.
Joselyn Vaughn said…
Thanks, Catherine!
Thanks for stopping by to visit with us, Catherine. So nice to see you.
Janice said…
This was such an encouraging post about doing things God's way and in His timing. I would like to read the pdf assuming my computer can receive it if I should be fortunate enough to win your book.

I have had lots of computer issues lately so I have not been able to visit this blog lately, and I have missed it! I need to catch up on reading past posts. I am at a one night vacation spot with wireless so here I am on one of my favorite blogs!

Blessings, Janice jsmithg(at)hotmail(dot)com
Beth Steury said…
Thanks for sharing your journey,Joselyn. As I revise my first novel, the first book in a YA series, this post reminds me of what I've been sure of since I put the first word on the computer screen -- it's God's story and He's asked me to tell it. "In His time" is such an important mind set to have.
Beth,
Having read your awesome story, with its much needed message, I am convinced your book will be published. I am going to email you privately.

So glad you stopped by today.
Aww, Janice, you are so sweet. And I have missed you.
So glad you could stop by today and benefit from Joselyn's great post.
Joselyn Vaughn said…
So glad you could spend a little time with us. Computer problems are so frustrating.
Joselyn Vaughn said…
If God wants you to do it, He won't let you quit. And He will do more than you can imagine if you let Him.

Best wishes with your story.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream