Skip to main content

The Fruit of Professionalism


My husband and I went to a diner. It wasn't a fancy one, but a grade above the greasy spoon type.

We happened to arrive during a busy morning. Most of the tables in the double "L" shaped room had customers. A short staff bustled about and the manager manned the cash register.

One waitress looked our way and turned to another. "Have you cleared off tables number...?" 

"No, I haven't" The other waitress snipped. "I've been busy." Her grumpy day showed all to clear with the scowl on her face.

The first waitress returned a few minutes later and led us to our table. She plopped down the menus and disappeared. 

The conversation in the seated area seemed friendly. A family across the way spoke nice to their three little boys, one of which played the dropsy game with his bottle. My husband and I talked for a while then noticed a few groups of people who had been seated after us eating their served food. We still had not seen our waitress.

We had a choice. Go to another restaurant or wait. 

We decided to wait. Ten minutes later, a pleasant waitress who served customers on the other side of the room came over to our table, her pony tail bouncing as she walked. "I saw you still sitting her without being served. Figured I'd come over and take your order." 

How sweet.

We told her what we wanted and noticed she extended her services to other tables not in her section. I asked my husband, who faced the kitchen area if he saw our assigned waitress, the grumpy one. "Yes, she is sitting at the counter writing something. The people at the table behind you, who came in before us, haven't been asked for their order, yet." 

In the meantime, the pleasant waitress who chose to serve our table brought our drinks, served our food, stopped back to check on our meal, and refilled our coffee. She smiled and thanked us for waiting. She never mentioned the grumpy waitress assigned to us. 

As I sipped my second cup of coffee and finished my meal, our assigned grumpy waitress served the meal to the table behind me and accidentally dumped the plate of food on the customer. She didn't say a word of apology.

While it may seem unfair to call one waitress grumpy and the other pleasant, I must say something in the pleasant waitress' defense. She walked to another table she chose to help, where five or six people had been served, scooped up the few coins left for her tip, and walked away. All the while maintaining her smile and bounce to her step. 

We all have things happen that can make us grumpy. There is a time and a way to vent and a time not to. God knows we get grumpy that's why He told us in Philippians 4:8 to think of the lovely things. 

Refocus the mind. 

Flee from the nasty thoughts Satan plants. 

Find the pleasant smile and the bounce to your step. 

So, reader. I challenge you today to go and have a pleasant day. Maybe a reader is having a grumpy day, or just needs to know someone cares to say something nice. Would you leave a pleasant comment for others? 



Comments

Cynthia Herron said…
Wow, Mary. Just wow! What a gracious, tender heart the Lord has blessed you with.

I've had some experiences like that, too, (just not in a while), and I always strive to remember that the Grumpy Gus so needs to see Jesus in me even when I'm feeling a little less than magnanimous.

So thankful that the other waitress was a blessing to you that day, and I'll pray for the other who obviously needs a bit of cheer.

My pleasant comment: Bad stuff doesn't last forever! Beyond the pain and suffering of this old world, God has promised hope! (Rom. 5:1-8)

Blessings on your day! :)
Cynthia, love your pleasant comment. Let me write it here again to make sure other readers see it:

Bad stuff doesn't last forever! Beyond the pain and suffering of this old world, God has promised hope! (Romans 5:1-8)

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream