Skip to main content

The Perfect Gentleman




Darryl is a perfect gentleman...



He lives in a nursing home (names have been changed) with his wife, Evelyn. A real Notebook story that is wonderful to share.

Darryl is an older gentleman with no physical or mental health issues. His dear wife, Evelyn, suffers from dementia and some minor physical issues. He couldn't take care of her by himself. 

For her health, she had to move to a nursing home. 

He couldn't stand to be away from his Evelyn, they'd shared so many years together. He volunteered to move into the nursing home with her where they share a room.

The nurses care for Evelyn, which frees Darryl to come and go as he wants, including spending holidays with his son and grandkids. 

On days when he isn't there, Evelyn is walked down to the dining area by nurses aids who reassure her that Darryl will come home. They sit her in a place next to an empty chair. She sets her arm on the chair intended for her husband. Her eyes move from the chair to the doorway and back. She doesn't say anything. Her breathing is filled with anticipation. 

Then Darryl walks in the door. 

Her concern switches to pure joy in a nano second. She moves her arm off of his chair and watches him walk across the room and sit next to her. Her broad smile shows sparkly white teeth.

Darryl leans toward her and says something. She looks toward her lap, savoring his sweet words. 

At times, Darryl comes down to the dining area alone when Evelyn is taking a nap. A few other residents sit around a table looking at pictures. Sarah, who struggles to speak, has been wildly shouting "ah". No one is able to help her stop shouting. 

Darryl walks to her wheelchair, and with a kind smile says, "Hi Sarah." For the first time that afternoon, Sarah smiles. His gentleman words touch her heart with such power she can't respond. 

Darryl helps other residents who can't move their wheelchairs through small passages. He talks with visiting families and other residents, moving about the room to find someone who needs a smile.

Darryl is a perfect gentleman. One sent by God to bless a nursing home.

And yes....this is a true story. Sigh

READER, please share your story of a perfect gentleman.



Comments

Anonymous said…
I have witnessed this man's giving spirit and am happy that he is being honored by sharing his story. Myra
yeah. thanks, Myra. :)
Janice said…
I frequently join in conversation with some friendly Christians on a blog site where people have been friends for a number of years. A few have met in person. All seem to be really nice people. There is one member who is a man in his 80s who is always so kind and caring, full of wisdom, greatly loves his wife and teaches Sunday School. I think of him as the perfect gentleman even though I have never met him in person.
Great example, Janice.

Let's hear more. Maybe, just maybe we will get a gent to share his example of a perfect lady:)

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream