Skip to main content

Choosing to Walk




There once was an older gentleman who sat alone in his wheelchair. From morning to evening he sat, waiting.

He lived in a lively nursing home where the activities directors loved to keep the residents engaged, laughing, and speaking. Often the gentleman sat in his room listening to men and women down the hall. He wished someone would think to take him there. 

Years before the gentleman had lost interest in physical activity for years, choosing to sit in his apartment and watch television alone. He watched several episodes of his favorite show and forgot to eat meals left for him in the kitchen. The apartment manager introduced him to other neighbors his age. He didn't feel like visiting any of their apartments, he might miss one of the shows. Periodically, the neighbors came for a visit, but after a while they stopped visiting. 

As the years went by, his legs could no longer support his weight when he attempted to stand. He wished someone would visit, maybe watch a show or two with him. If someone would only visit, he or she could bring his food to the sofa and sit with him.

Over time, his health and mental awareness diminished. He fell out of bed and required assistance around the clock. He was moved to the lively nursing home for his safety. The chatter and movement intrigued him, but he continued to watch his television which was brought from his apartment to his new room. Maybe if someone wheeled him down to where the fun took place he might leave the shows.

A few weeks passed. The activities director went to the gentleman's room several times to invite him to the fun. 

He decided to go and was surprised how happy he felt. The next day no one came to his room to wheel him to the activity. The laughter stirred his heart. He pressed his feet to the floor and nudged the wheelchair forward. It hurt a bit, but he pressed his feet and moved the chair again. It took a long time but, the chair soon entered the hall. The activities director looked his way and smiled. She pushed his chair to the activity room and helped him join the fun.

A few more weeks passed. The gentleman had been given a new wheelchair designed for the patient's mobility. He wheeled to other rooms visiting patients, he went to activities in another wing, he found he could gather his thoughts and speak whole sentences in conversation.

A few weeks more, the physical therapist approved the gentleman for training with a walker. He walked twenty feet within a few days. Visitors from his youth came and he recognized them. The man had not known such happiness in years.

This is based on a true story. Before we notice, special things get set aside and forgotten.  Things that fall in this category are Daily Devotions, nutritional eating, exercise, spending time with family, sharpening our skills, cleaning our home, etc.

Friend, can you make a goal for today to do something you have neglected?

Comments

bonton said…
So relevant to my situation, in more ways than one, Mary!

I have been retired for almost 7 years, & it has become too easy to become less disciplined in my lifestyle - I have learned that discipline is necessary, even in retirement.

My 89 year old aunt had a stroke, fell, & broke her hip. She was in the nursing home for several months. The lady that had always been independent, lived alone, & taken care of all her needs - became one that never left her room, ate meals in her bed (IF we could get her to eat), refused to get dressed, or get out of bed (after her therapy ended), & wouldn't enter into any social activities. She became anemic, was put on oxygen, & after being home for 1 1/2 months - still requires 24/7 care. The good news is that there has been a miraculous turn-around in the last 10 days (the only explanation is answered prayer, as there had been no changes in her lifestyle), & she is now walking around, requiring a lot less oxygen, talking & laughing again, entering into the daily operation of her home, eating more & gaining weight, & enjoying interaction with family & friends (we're still working on getting dressed, at least house dresses are utilized some days).

Habit CAN impede progress - in all areas of life.
Wow, what a great testimony.
You're right, bad habits can impede, even if the habit simply is doing nothing.
But, we can rejoice, because good habits, like prayer can made great changes to the glory of God.
Sure appreciate your comment today. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream