Skip to main content

Fabulous Friday Post-Mindy Obenhaus


Today I welcome 
Mindy Obenhaus,
a gracious lady who loves her family and is willing to follow God's will. 

Enter to win Mindy's August 2013 release,
The Doctor's Family Reunion
Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter.


I didn't know the story your are about to read when I saw Mindy at the ACFW conference. We just never know when others might be experiencing something that is demonstrating the power of God. Thank God, He has brought Mindy's story to our attention today. You will be blessed. I asked Mindy to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed, ever willing to share how God has blessed. Here is what she said:



Seeing It Is All Good

Many writers will tell you that they’ve always been avid readers. Many will tell you they’ve been writing forever. I cannot say that. However, I’ve always had a love of story.

As a child, I would contrive these amazing adventures in my head. Even into adulthood, I made up stories that would play through my mind like a movie.

When my mother moved in with us, she brought boxes and boxes of romance novels. I started to read and suddenly found myself with a voracious appetite for romance. I began to wonder, “Could I write my stories?”

The only way I’d find out was to try.

I completed my first novel in seven months. Then I joined a writer’s group and discovered what I really had was a bad first draft. Still, I had written an entire book. That gave me the impetus to press on and learn my craft.

That was over eight years ago. During that time, God called me to write for Him, Mom moved out, and our two-and-a-half year old granddaughter moved in. Two years later, when she was finally reunited with her Navy mama, I thought I’d have all the writing time in the world. But life rarely goes according to plan.

On September 4, 2011, wildfires broke out near our family ranch. Propelled by thirty mile per hour winds, the smoke and flames engulfed us. We lost over a hundred acres of timberland, but our homes were spared.

A week later, my husband fell while surveying the damage. We rushed him to the emergency room where the doctor informed us, “His back is broken. We fear it’s pressing on his spinal cord, so we’re going to CareFlight him to Houston. And, by the way, there’s a mass on his kidney.”

This was ten days before ACFW Conference. I would likely miss. In that hospital room, I prayed, “God, if You don’t want me to go, I’m okay with that.”

Well, my husband didn’t need surgery, but he had to wear a brace for the next several weeks. Excellent news. However, he still couldn’t dress, shower, or even get out of bed on his own.

Yet he was convinced that I would go to conference.

Five days before I was supposed to leave, he told me to go shopping for a banquet dress. I said, “I don’t know that I’m going to conference.” His response? “Yes, you are.”

Two days before my long-scheduled departure, this stubborn man willed himself out of bed. Fantastic. But what about the kids? How would they get to school? Band practice?

You know what my man did? He called our friends and asked for help.

I did make it to conference that year and pitched a story to Melissa Endlich from Love Inspired Books. The Doctor’s Family Reunion released earlier this month. J

I think that was my best conference ever.

When I returned, we learned that the mass on my husband’s kidney was cancer. The kidney was removed, and though his recovery was littered with complications, God’s hand never left us.

Romans 8:28 tells us that “all things work together for good.” If my husband hadn’t broken his back, they wouldn’t have found the kidney cancer. Without those complications after surgery, he would have gone home with a pulmonary embolism.

Today, my husband is cancer-free, and embarrassingly proud of his author wife. I achieved my dream, though when I started my journey, I never imagined how long it would take. But a God-given dream is about the journey, not the destination. In His time, dreams really do come true.


Mindy Obenhaus always dreamed of being a wife and mother. Yet as her youngest of five children started kindergarten, a new dream emerged—to write stories of true love that would glorify God. When she’s not penning her latest romance, she likes cooking, reading, traveling, and spending time with her grandkids. 

Learn more about her at 

The Doctor's Family Reunion: Family means everything to Dr. Trent Lockridge. Growing up without a father, he always yearned for a family of his own. One long-ago summer in Ouray, Colorado, he thought  he might build a future with beautiful Blakely Daniels. But when he abruptly fled town, he broke her heart and left behind more than memories. Years later, Trent is shocked—and overjoyed—to learn he's a father. He'd like to earn back Blakely's love and trust— but it won't be easy. And the clock is ticking. He's got only a few weeks to prove that, this time, he's here to stay…forever.


To enter the contest for an autographed copy of 
Mindy Obenhaus's book: "The Doctor's Family Reunion":
leave a comment (and email address)
and become a follower of this site if you aren't already.

Winner announced on my facebook page.

Thank you, Mindy, for Joining us This Weekend!


Friend, wasn't it wonderful to read how God's showed His presence in the events happening in Mindy's family? Let's see here are a few she mentioned: 

Her mother moved in, bringing good books.
Her granddaughter needed care.
Fires rampaged her area leaving them only with their house
Her husband is injured. 
Husband's cancer discovered and treated
Husband's complications lead to finding other problems and treatment
Husband fully supports Mindy
God blessed by giving her this published book.

How has God blessed you in a time of trial?





Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for sharing with us, Mindy! I was blessed by what you wrote. Congratulations on your new book! It looks and sounds wonderful. Throughout the past few years, God has been mightily at work in my life. He got me to school, but now I am out for at least a semester and I am struggling to understand, "Why?".
I know that He has great things in store for me, but I do not know what He wants for me now...Praying for direction.. God has blessed me with amazing music teachers that have encouraged me in times past and present. Without their encouragement and faith-building, I would never have made it to school. God has been exceedingly good to me. How has He blessed me in this time of trial? Well, He gave me another voice teacher(lessons start on Tuesday), and my old voice/piano teacher wants to continue helping me with Classical piano lessons(for free[she retired 2 yrs. ago]),to get me driving out on the road, and travel with her. She is the one who helped me get to school. I am amazed at all God has done so far!!! Thank you for the giveaway! I would be thrilled to win!!
Blessings,
Juli
emeraldelena@hotmail.com
BelleC said…
Hi Mindy,
Thanks for sharing your road to publication with us. And welcome to Love Inspired. I'm a newbie also (first book released in June)and it's an exciting ride. I love how you're husband is so proud of you. That is such a nice testament! And praise the Lord that his cancer is gone and that God was sitting on your shoulder the entire time. Good luck with your release. I love the cover and it sounds amazing. Blessings!

Belle Calhoune
What a blessing that God had ready for you. Just when it seemed a brick wall fell in your road, God actually had a curve, one that you could not see the beauty of what was around the bend, until now.
Blessings on your continued lessons and the pursuit of a music ministry.
I'm so glad you shared today!
Welcome Belle!
I'm so glad you stopped by to chat with us today. Stay awhile, enjoy some virtual tea and get to know the gang. :)
Mindy Obenhaus said…
Juli, sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees, but it sounds like you've got the right perspective. God is always at work, even when we don't understand. And He's always working for, not against, us. Hallelujah!
Mindy Obenhaus said…
Hi, Belle! And thank you. And congrats to you too on your debut release. It is definitely an exciting ride.
bonton said…
Loved your testimony, Mindy! Sometimes, when it rains - it pours, & it is easy to get discouraged. But - I learned the hard way, that God has His own timing, & that timing is always for our good.

I can identify with part of your story - I also had a kidney removed, due to cancer, 13 years ago. And - mine was also found through tests for a different issue.

Congratulations on your book - I love the storyline, & would love to read it!

bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com
Mindy Obenhaus said…
Thank you, Bonnie! Yes, it does pour sometimes. I've come to learn that the phrase "life is stranger than fiction" is very true. If I tried to put all of those things in a book, no one would believe it!
Unknown said…
Mindy, your life story should be written. How encouraging! God definitely had His hand on you and your family. I have many health problems and doctors recently found a couple of problems with my heart. All my family and friends began praying and their churches, this past Tuesday when the cardiologist did the heart cath, there is nothing wrong with my heart. God is so good! Your book sounds fantastic. Thank you for sharing with us! Please enter me in the giveaway.
Barbara Thompson
barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com

I'm a follower and subscriber!
Terri said…
Mindy, I'm so thankful your husband is cancer free! He sounds like a true fighter. Congratulations on your book!
Terri, Thank you so much for joining our conversation today!
God does give us those in our lives that form a beautiful bond of support.

Hope to see you again, Terri:)
Hi Barbara!
So nice to see you again!
And how wonderful to hear how God has blessed you and your family.
Looking forward to seeing you again.
Hi Bonnie,
So nice to have you back again.
God faithfully shows the perfect plan of His timing. We may not always see it play out, but if we trust Him, we can participate in His good will.
Looking forward to seeing you again. :)
Mindy Obenhaus said…
What wonderful news, Barbara! It's always an encouragement to others when we share how God has worked in our lives. Though sometimes, we also need to point how God is working in their life. :)
Mindy Obenhaus said…
He's a pretty great guy, Terri. I definitely can't complain. :)

Great to "see" you again.
I KNEW there was a reason I LOVE MINDY OBENHAUS - She comes through shining like gold and with a man behind her like the one she married - WHAT TEAM WORK!

I'm sure I'm too late to try to win the book - but - I will find a way to get it. ':D
Congratultaions, Mindy - on the book, on LISTENING to GOD'S CALL and for being the woman of God that you are that we might see a GOOD EXAMPLE.
God has brought me through LOTS of physical trials and I can't enumerate them all here or it'd be MORE than a blog post in length.
GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME - HIS LOVE UNCONDITIONAL - HIS LEADING PERFECT IN DIRECTION AND TIMING. If I've learned anything in the decades of ups and downs it's JESUS NEVER FAILS.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream