Skip to main content

How Good and How Pleasant

A picture of unity
Mary Vee, Ashley Clark, Pepper Basham
Writers Alley friends
There are those moments, when the folks around us do not get along.

It may be a family squabble, coworkers disagreeing, volunteers clash. Sigh

Even more distressing is when we jump on the bandwagon and escalate the issue. My heart breaks when I cozy up to the problem like king Ahab in the Old Testament, instead of pulling away and praying as did king Hezekiah, king Jehoshophat, or king David. I really don't want to grumble or add to the issue, but I do.

Sigh.

And it is so difficult to simply say "I'm sorry" or to walk away.

I think writers are inspired to write specific themes because that is the very issue they are experiencing or need to address in their own lives.

For me, the manuscript I completed and pitched at the ACFW conference has this theme:

How good and how pleasant it is for the brethren to dwell together in unity. Psalm 133:1

When I am out in public, God has helped me learn to use proactive skills to diffuse situations before I foolishly leap onto the bandwagon. But after I leave, my heart replays the scenario and it aches. I grumble and rehash words in the privacy of my home. But that isn't right either.

And so, for today, I pray that you and I will only see the beauty in the people God has made living in our world. That any grumbling words slip away, frowns and squints morph into smiles and twinkles, complaints fade to concerns, anger and frustration reveal themselves as cries for help and love, and our hearts will be overflowing with the perfect love that God has given us.

Wait! Don't swing the pendulum. This does not mean that others have carte blanche to stomp on our spirits, take advantage of us, or squash our good deeds. Stand up for your testimony. Stand strong. And this, too, will help to calm the angries in others.

You are a treasure, called by God, to bring unity to your piece of the world.

Blessings on your day.




Comments

bonton said…
Very timely post for me, Mary! Found myself inwardly "stewing",tonight, over some minor issue in which I felt I had not been treated fairly. Had just reprimanded & reminded myself that I didn't know the other side of the story, & that it wasn't worth my being upset, & letting Satan steal my joy, & had asked God for forgiveness & peace in the situation - when I read your post!

Thank you for the reminder!

bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com
Thank you for sharing Bonnie :) Isn't it always a blessing when God works in more than one life at one time. He's really good at that. :)
Linda Glaz said…
Nicely, said, Mary. If only we could always function in peace.
Laura Bethuy said…
Wise words with godly timing ! Thank you Mary, God's been dealing with my heart on this very issue.
Welcome, Linda.
Yeah. It's that heavenly appeal we all long for.
Welcome Laura,
May God bring you peace that passes all understanding.
Oh, Mary - I love that - . . .doesn't mean others have carte blanche to stomp on our spirits, take advantage of us. . . "
HOW MUCH MORE TIMELY CAN IT GET? - Wow.
Still struggling with Post Conference Syndrome and have family members deciding the "best use of my time" for me. Not working well. ':)

As for Linda G's comment - I find I keep wanting to RUN BACK TO EDEN - someday gonna write a book about that. ':D
Thank you for this post, dear friend!
Hugs.....
Interesting concept and hard to live up to. Sometimes I like to drill down on a subject, not to offend, but to clarify. Some people become quite offended by that. It's better to just let it go, especially if you're not directly impacted by the issue. So I shall attempt (and probably fail, but perhaps with God's help, succeed) to be sensitive and not offend.
Wonderful words. But, as you say, difficult to do. Even days I saturate myself with the Word, and sing praises, those monster moments hit and make sensitivity a difficult task. God knows. It's our heart He looks at.
So nice to see you here today!
Joy,
God will give you the time for your calling. He would not have given the call without the tools and time to carry out the job. I am confident I'll hear from you sometime in the future with words of surprise at God's orchestrating your minutes.
Would love to see the future book about running back to Eden. Great topic.
Loved seeing you here today.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream