Skip to main content

If You Don't Ever Take the Chance.


Country Singer, Jimmy Rose recently said, "If you don't ever take the chance--You will never know the outcome."

When Hudson Taylor became deathly ill and had to return to England to receive needed medical care, he wondered if and when he'd be able to take his family back to China. During the healing process, Taylor used the time to reevaluate the ministry and his goal to preach to those living in inland China.

The three years convalescing proved invaluable. At this time, the China Inland Mission came to life. Those working with Taylor set up the administration and finances then called for recruits and taught language and Bible lessons. In the hours he didn't sleep, Taylor worked with a helper to write a translation of the New Testament in a Chinese language. A few years after leaving, Taylor brought sixteen missionaries with his own family back to China, ready to begin a new ministry.

What would have been missed if he had given up while recuperating from his disease? What would have happened if he never became sick and instead stayed in China's port cities?

Or here is another example: Abraham Lincoln, a small town boy with little education other than what he learned on his own, became president of the United States.

Not is it possible to miss great opportunities, but sometimes we move and train in what we think is the right direction only to discover it isn't the glorious opportunity God had for us.

I think of athletes who are injured and unable to compete. 
Missionaries who are unable to raise support.
Students who don't score high enough on an entrance exam.
etc.
Once these folks find the next part of their journey, they frequently see the unexpected blessing. 

Life is a training. 

Full of surprises and changes. Like the first uncomfortable gasp of breath at birth. 

Friend, don't get comfortable, God has a plan for your life. It may or may not be what you thought. Are you ready for the next great adventure?

photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net

Comments

Oh this was great, Mary! Life certainly hasn't been what I thought it would be, but it sure has been an adventure!
Yes, you have had many unexpected bends in your road. Praise God for a hope of a future.
bonton said…
Trial often turn into blessings, if only we have the patience to wait for the reward! Thanks, Mary!
So true, Bonnie. Good words. Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream