Skip to main content

A Christmas Present Just For You Part 5








This is the part five

of the story, Purple Memories. 

My Christmas gift to you.








Purple Memories

Part Five (click if you missed parts one, two, three, or four)
By Mary Vee

Grandpa sat on the floor by the Christmas tree. As if on cue, the first notes of the carol, O Christmas Tree, sounded from his stereo in the next room. 

He waved for the children to come help him pass out the gifts. All the boys and girls ten-years-old and younger, including the new toddler, flocked toward Grandpa. He read the name on the tag of each package and handed the gift to the next child standing closest to him. Some of the little ones forgot which uncle was which, but they all remembered silly Uncle Luke.

Leah curled her legs on the chair and watched the beehive of children bustle about the room. This tradition had played to an expanding group every year since she first met her sweet Jerry. No one opened a gift until the youngest family members had delivered every package. A small stack of presents grew in front of each adult, larger stacks for the children. 

Grandpa had crawled under the tree to reach gifts nestled in the back corner. He gave the last one to the toddler, who with sandy brown hair and deep brown eyes reached her little arms out to hold the package. Grandpa's eyes twinkled. His smile broadened with a dash of whimsy. "This one is for you." 

The tyke stood staring at the contents in her arms. Her eyes widened with delight. This time she didn't have to hand the gift to anyone. She toddled to her mother, securely holding her prize and sat on the floor.

Grandpa brushed the pine needles from his hands. He stood, groaning with signs of age before toddling to his chair next to Grandma's and sat down. This, the final signal gave permission to everyone to open their presents.

Paper ripped and flew into the air like chunks of confetti. The children gleefully showed their parents each new toy and, if the boy or girl especially found favor in the gift, they showed it to their cousins. The uncles, even those without children, knew better than to try to open gifts before all the toys had been assembled. With screwdrivers in hand they waited for the first request to put something together.

This year, though, a laser tag game won the attention of all. Once the box sprang open, the uncles raced the younger cousins for a laser gun. The dog barked, the children squealed, the uncles ran for cover, popping their heads up long enough to tag someone. 

Grandma's voice pierced the mayhem. "Not in here!"

Like a flock of birds sharply changing direction, the game migrated to the living room, leaving the others to open their gifts undisturbed. 

Leah reached for her first gift. A small narrow box sealed with a purple ribbon. She knew right away the present came from her mother-in-law and would be stylish. She broke the seal and lifted the lid. A lovely purple silk scarf. She rubbed her fingers over the soft, elegant fabric. How the sweet woman managed to remember every family member's likes and dislikes boggled her mind. 

Years ago, on her first date with Jerry, she happened to mention her favorite color purple--just once. He must have told his mom. The year after he died, Leah received a lavender brooch for Christmas. Each year after, the gift from her in-laws had purple somewhere in it. 

Leah took the scarf out of the box and draped it around her neck. It naturally matched her outfit since she happened to wear a dressy black outfit. She looked over to her mother-in-law and said, "Thank you, so much." 

The cheery smile that followed brightened the thoughtful woman's face. 

Then the uncles burst into the room leaping backwards and aiming their laser tag guns at the grandkids. They tumbled over the sofas and hid behind the barricades as the swarm of little kids blazed into the room. 

"Grandma, Grandma. Save us." They piled around her hugging her neck, arms, and legs. 

"Don't worry, children, you are safe by me."

Well, they might have been. For a short time. Until the uncles charged from their hiding places into the center of the room. The children squealed and fled from the room.

Leah laughed with the others and thanked God for this home and the sweet family who adopted her into their clan. 


………The last layer of this six part story will be unwrapped Wednesday


As for me, I am looking to reach 200 followers by Christmas.
 To become a follower scroll to the fifth box down on the right 
and clicked the blue "Join this site button" 
I would be so very happy to have you as a follower. 

Comments

Nike Chillemi said…
Everyone's always safe by grandma.
I have a feeling you are speaking from experience. :)
I felt the same way about my grandma, and should my children give me grandkids, I plan to be the safe place for them.
Good chatting with you, Nike.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream