Skip to main content

A New Year Idea



Photo Courtesy



Happy New Year!

Last year I heard about a new idea, well, it was a new idea for me. I have a feeling the concept has been around for a while, taking its sweet time floating my way. I'd like to share the idea with you.

Making a New Year's resolution is easy. We all have an area of our life we'd like to change, improve, or downright delete. Unfortunately, those resolutions rarely endure past February. We try. Fail. Try again. Fail. Eventually we quit and perhaps consider trying again next year.

One-Word

The new idea is this: choose one word to be your theme for the year. Post the word in a prominent place. Use this word as your goal word for the year. 

For example: If I chose "trust" I might see my goal as learning to trust others or I might see my goal as wanting others to trust me. So each day I would pray that God would help me grow in this area. 

This concept "trust" needs to saturate every part of your day and night. During the day, I might say I need to trust God to get me to work on time, to help me do my best, to let my spouse complete a task without reminders/nagging, to still love me even when I sin, etc. During the night, I might say I need to trust God to protect my children, my home, etc.

For this reason, choose wisely. Pray about your one word choice for this year. The goal is not to "succeed" but to improve that area of your life . . .  mistakes ARE allowed!

Here are a few idea words for you to choose from. This is not an all-inclusive list. You may think of a word not listed here.  As I mentioned above, each word can have many definitions. The word you choose will have the definition you need.



Adventurous Encourager Organize
Apprentice Endure Passenger
Breathe Engage Patient
Bulder Enjoy Peace
Care-ful Faithful Praiseworthy
Change First Prayer
Cheerful Giver Productive
Childlike Heartfelt Purity
Compassionate Helpful Quiet
Concern hope Rejouvenate
Courage Humble Relax
Crystal Include Release
Delight Joy Resistant
Dependable Listen Responder
Devotion Love Serious
Disciple Lovely Spunk
Drink Manager Still
Driven Motivated Thanful
Empower Noble Trust

Are you ready to give the One Word Challenge a try? It will be a lot easier than try to do than the resolutions we continually attempt.

And just for you!

For this week, the ending of 2013 and the beginning of 2014, I am having a book giveaway from my stash of fabulous author books. I have a stack of about fifteen books and would love to share with you. (Books by Terri Blackstock, Julie Lessman, Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker, Beverly Lewis, Tracie Peterson, Rachel Hauck, Anita Higman, Dan Walsh/Gary Smally, Kathy Herman--and more)

Leave a comment and become either a follower of my site (fifth box down in the right column) or sign up to receive posts by email in order to enter.

Two winners will be chosen from all the commenters this week. Winners will be able to choose one book from my great author's stash and announced Friday on my Facebook page: Mary.Vee.Writer


May the Lord greatly bless you in this coming year. 
May the trial be manageable, 
and the joys a pinnacle experience.

Comments

Joanne Sher said…
Well, you know my "two-word debate" from the Alley. Well, my word is content (with the accent on the second syllable LOL). Looking forward to seeing how God will change me in this journey!
Yes. You have chosen a difficult one. I am excited to see how your year goes. Please stay in contact with me. Let me know of any prayer requests.
Unknown said…
My word is faith!! It's easy for me to have faith for other people, but not for me. That's a big problem in my life I need to work on. I need the faith that God's going to take care of me; physically, financially and help me emotionally with my health problems.
Barbara Thompson
barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com
Faith is a great word, Barbara. It's difficult to have he needed faith for you situation, but one day at a time, God will help you. Blessings on you, Barb.
Patty said…
Patience - to wait on the Lord and not rush ahead and try to do everything on my own!

pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com
Patty, you have chosen one that many of us need. Good for you. May the Lord grant you strength as you focus on this word this year.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream