Skip to main content

High School Tenacity



Photo Courtesy
Last week I saw an interesting news report. The event took place in New York City.

Like in many cities across the country, New York City was pelted with a harsh snowstorm. Schools and businesses remained open despite transportation issues.

The reporter stood on a corner of the city and happened upon three female high school students. "Where are you going?" he asked.

The girls struggled to hold their hoods in place. One answered, "We're going to school. The school busses aren't running today."

"How are you going to get there?" the reporter asked.

"Well we have to take…" 

I didn't have a chance to scribble notes about the details, but the girls explained they had to take one bus, transfer to a second bus, and then transfer again to a third bus to reach their school.

Piles of snow stood behind the girls and cars slid in the streets. The wind swirled around them carrying snowflakes. While the reporter and the girls had difficulty speaking over the storm noises, the three high schoolers smiled throughout the interview. 

What amazed me most was not only the tenacity of the three girls to get to school that day, but also, their jovial attitude. They seemed to treat the whole scenario like a great adventure. Such a spirit is bound to help these young ladies become successful in their future careers.

~

During a time of forty days, Satan tempted Jesus. Knowing Jesus was hungry, Satan told Jesus to turn the stones to bread. Jesus answered him, "Man shall not live by bread alone." Satan offered to give Jesus kingdoms if only Jesus would worship him. On and on Satan tried to break down Jesus' tenacious spirit to do the will of His Father. Yet, Jesus answered each temptation with Scripture proving His faithfulness and obedience to God the Father. 

Never once did Jesus give in to temptation.

The dictionary defines tenacity as: holding fast, not easily pulled asunder.

Your turn. Think of a time when you were tenacious about something

I'll go first. The first time I decided to read the Bible in one year, many, MANY interruptions worked to keep me from completing the goal. It became a game. As long as the reading was done by midnight, I counted the daily goal done. On December 31, I was incredibly happy as I read the last chapter of Revelation.

It sure feels good to be tenacious in well doing.

Can you share a time when you or someone you know has been tenacious to get something done?

This post has been brought to you by the one word: Tenacity

Comments

Janice said…
Homeschooling from first through twelfth grade took tenacity and courage. Being the one who was fully responsible to make sure all was in place to meet college admission requirements was daunting. So it took a stick with it attitude day by day, month by month and year by year. And the delight came when I being the final authority could set the completion date on my birthday. It was a twelve year in the making of a wonderful birthday present God gave me. He is so good and it only happened through His perseverance with me. He has tenacity to confound the devil and all the distractions he throws in the way of believers like when you read through the Bible, Mary. I am enjoying your word for the day posts.
Good morning, Janice!
Homeschooling does take a tenacious spirit. Not only are you mom the minutes before and after school, but you are also teacher during the school time. I homeschooled for one year to help my child during a time of struggle. She pulled herself together during the year to earn the right to return to the school of her choice. There were many fun times, now that I think back to it. And, of course there were the struggles. I can imagine you have a ton of stories from your 12 years:) I'm so glad you stopped by and chatted, Janice.
Unknown said…
I love this post, Mary. I'm amazed at those students...thinking about myself in high school, I probably would've used the excuse not to go to class that day. Haha! Not that I didn't like school, but hey, I'd take a free day any day. :)

A time when I was tenacious...definitely when writing. In fact, I'd like to say I'm being tenacious now...I'm on a tighter deadline than I've ever been before and it's taking every once of determination in me. Praying God helps me big time. :)
Yah know, I've been thinking about you Melissa. I saw you didn't go to the MBT retreat. You must be so busy. I'm so excited about your success. You're working on your third book, right? I kinda figured that would be an area for you to be tenacious. You have been a great example to me. So glad you stopped by today.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream