Skip to main content

Fabulous Friday Feature-Anita Higman Returns




Today I welcome 
author, Anita Higman
a sweet and friendly lady, 
with a desire to help others 

Enter to win Anita's latest release,
Home at Last
(there will be four winners!)

Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter.



After the fabulous turn out from Anita's last visit, I simply had to invite her back to share with us again. Anita has released another new book, too! I met Anita after agreeing to read her book for a publisher.  Click here to read my review  I was very impressed with Anita's writing style, her humor, the realism in her story, yeah. As you can see from the list to the right, her post has has the greatest number of hits on my site..over 1,000! I asked Anita to share something more about God's blessings in her on her writing journey. Here is what she said:



What is Truly Passionate?

When a man kisses a woman—and the two care about each other in an amorous way—well, we’re most likely guaranteed some sweet magic. Maybe even some bolts of lightning. And we women never tire of experiencing or watching or reading about those dreamy moments when a man and woman feel those first stirrings of attraction, affection, and then love. However, in many of today’s modern novels, the romantic scenes go far behind an ardent kiss.

So, what sets the inspirational romance apart from the others when it comes to those scenes of passion?

First of all, writers and readers of inspirational romances are not saying that these fiery feelings aren’t being played out in their own marital beds. However, they are saying they don’t want to be peeping toms in someone else’s boudoir. They have discernment for what is meant to be enjoyed and a healthy respect for what is meant to be private.

These same readers know their minds and hearts—they are more satisfied when the hero and heroine struggle toward real love, rather than merely give in to lust. Charlotte Bronte’s masterpiece, Jane Eyre, is one of the most wildly passionate love stories ever written, and yet we never read about anything more intimate than a kiss.

Also, like in the novel, Jane Eyre, the story encourages readers to consider the whole of a person—which includes the soul rather than just mere flesh. This novel reminds us that we are not only in great need of human affection and love, but that we also desire to be connected to Someone who is greater than ourselves—the One true source of all of that love.

On the other hand, if a story revolves around a hero and heroine who are consumed by lust-filled thoughts and erotic behaviors, well, let’s just say, these kinds of mental images aren’t going to raise the reader to any lofty ideals. Truly, lovers of inspirational fiction want to go beyond the mere desires of the body. They want to know there is purpose to their existence and meaning to life. They want to be roused to the passions of goodness and decency and honor. And if a hero and heroine experience temptations and transgressions—and humans are riddled with it—then they also want light and hope and redemption.

Those same readers know that the most romantic hero—one who is truly swoon-worthy—is the one who can set his own desires aside and think of the good of his beloved. That is the measure of a real man. Those are the qualities of a truly attractive and desirable hero.

As an inspirational romance author, you might wonder how I write those romantic scenes so they will be passionate without being salacious. When do I stop the kiss before it gets too hot for the page? Well, I’ve had a general rule that has always worked for me. If I can give my novel to my daughter or offer it as suggested reading to a friend’s grandmother to read without worry that I will offend, and if I feel I have truly entertained as well as inspired the reader, then I have succeeded in finding the right balance. Then I have searched for and found what is admirable—what is good and lovely and beautiful. And yes, what is truly passionate.
.




Best-selling and award-winning author, Anita Higman, has thirty-six books published. She’s been a Barnes & Noble “Author of the Month” for Houston and has a BA in the combined fields of speech communication, psychology, and art. Anita loves good movies, exotic teas, and brunch with her friends.

Please visit her website at www.anitahigman.com and drop her a note by clicking the “Contact Me” button.





Home at Last-Anita's latest release
Olivia Lamington's never had a home or family 

When her late employer leaves Bromfeld Manor to her, Olivia feels secure for the first time in her life. Then Bromfeld's prodigal son returns, challenging her claim to the estate—and everything Olivia understands about family…and love. 


The woman his father left his fortune to is as beautiful as she is innocent, which is why Noah Bromfeld offers to let Olivia stay while he settles his father's affairs. The closer he gets to Olivia, though, the more Noah wonders if this sweet beauty is the key to his future. But will his dark past destroy his only hope for happiness?






A Marriage in Middlebury-Anita's previous release
Charlotte Rose Hill has been serving up country delicacies, uniquely blended teas, and matchmaking advice for her quirky but beloved customers for more than 10 years. But for her, marriage seems like an elusive butterfly, always out of reach. At 18, Charlotte fell in love with a young man, Sam Wilder, but his family convinced her to walk away from their relationship. She did, and then became engaged to another man, who later died before they were married. 

Now, more than a decade later, Charlotte finds that she still has feelings for her first love. Initially thrilled to learn that Sam has come home to Middlebury, Texas, Charlotte is devastated to learn that he’s brought someone with him: his fiancée. But all is not lost when the townsfolk decide to get involved. Will Charlotte and Sam find their way back to each other?




To enter the contest for an autographed copy of 
Anita's book: "Home at Last":
leave a comment (and email addy)
AND become a follower of this site, if you aren't already.

Four Winners Will Be Chosen!

Sorry  US  only

Winner announced on my facebook page.

Thank you, Anita, for Joining us This Weekend!
.

Anita's thoughts today on inspiration fiction are helpful, wouldn't you say? I recently read an article that criticized inspirational fiction. The writer felt inspirational books shouldn't even touch the topic.

Let's talk about it. What are you views on inspirational romance fiction? 
If you like inspiration fiction, can you give us a title of a book or an author you have enjoyed?

Comments

Susan Johnson said…
I love this post. I agree, and Jane Eyre is one of my favorites also. This sounds like a great book. I am a follower of this blog.

susanmsj at msn dot com
Anonymous said…
Thanks, Mary, for posting my blog concerning passion in romantic stories. I look forward to reading the comments!
Blessings!
Anita Higman
Good morning Mary and Anita. I think there is a real hunger for fiction that allows the readers to use their imaginations in supplying the details of a romantic love scene. That is why Inspirational fiction has exploded in the last few years! I also use the guideline that Anita mentioned: if I can recommend a book to one of the teenagers in my Sunday school class or their grandmother, then that author has been successful!
Thanks for another great interview and blessings to both of you.
Connie
cps1950@gmail.com
What a great article! My mother-in-law always says, if we shouldn't let our children see/read it, then we shouldn't see/read it. I like inspirational romance...always have and always will. I do read secular romance too, though I am picky and read authors that I know write more PG/PG-13. :)

sherrinda (at) gmail (dot) com
and I am a follower!!!!
Unknown said…
I really enjoyed the post. I wonder if the person who wrote the article on inspirational romance fiction has truly read a few books of inspirational romance fiction. I don't believe you could judge by one book. I love inspirational romance fiction and honestly I love many authors and books, so I could not just give one. Thank you Anita and Mary for the great post!!
Barbara Thompson
barbmaci61(at)yahoo(dot)com

Also, I'm a follower!
Anonymous said…
Oh Mary, thanks for having Anita here today. She lives not far from me. I hope someday to meet her at one of her favorite Tea Rooms for a chat. She writes very good books. One of my daughters who has an opinion on books she reads and tells me. Well, I loaned her my Anita Higman books and she has fallen in love with them. She is now a fan, tho not online much. She even suggested she wouldn't mind them as a gift. She highly recommends it. (Big smile). If she gets excited about a book you know it is a good book and clean. You caught me off guard about others. Not thinking too well tonight. Doesn't mean I haven't read many. One of the earlier ones I remember were Grace Livingston Hill books. I knew they would be clean books which I would buy for her, knowing they were books she would read. I would love to be one of these two lucky winners. Thanks Anita and Mary for this give-away. Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com
Anonymous said…
Mary, I forgot to tell you that I am a follower of yours. Maxie
Hi Susan!
Good to see you today. Jane Eyre is a fabulous story. Romance for all the right reasons. I totally agree.
Once again, I count it an honor to have you as my guest:) Your writing is engaging with sprinkles of humor.
Hi Connie,
I agree, not only when writing a book, but as we read books or help promote books, for me anyway. I'd like to have people regard me in this way as well.
Good to see you here, Connie.
Me too, Sherrinda.
I think of the times I have guests in my hours. My library in the family room is one place the guests always see. Of course their eyes scan the titles. I would feel horrible if even one title popped into their view and cause the person to think otherwise of me. So even my library is my testimony. Of course my library also includes works like Gone with the Wind, Jane Eyre, and many other general audience titles. I want others to know I am well read, and picky what I read.
Good to see you here, Sherrinda.
Barbara,
That is a very good question. I don't really know. On one hand I am glad she had the freedom to express her view, on the other hand, her view seemed narrow and showed me I should be cautious when expressing my opinion.
Thanks so much for joining our chat today, Barbara.
Maxie!
I have missed seeing you here at our chats. I'm so glad you had a chance to stop by today.
Tell me more about the Tea Rooms. It sounds fun.
Love the way your daughter suggested she wouldn't mind getting one of Anita's book's for a gift. Gotta love the signals she gave on that comment:)
I totally agree that Anita's books are well written, fun, and clean stories, and recommend any of her books.
Loved seeing you today, Maxie!
Thanks, Maxie,
How could I forget a sweet friend like you?
Anonymous said…
I love reading all your posts. :)

Anita Higman
Thank you, Anita.
Sharon B. said…
While I am a fan of Anita's books, I never really gave much thought about how she keeps the books so romantic and yet, something I could share with others without embarrassment. Anita is so right in realizing that readers want to be aroused by decency, honor and goodness. There can be romance and still much left to the imagination. I really enjoyed reading her method of keeping her writing in balance.
Thanks, Anita, for sharing.
Norma S said…
Hi Mary and Anita, great interview. I love inspirational romance books. I appreciate books that has God in it. Anita Higman, is a wonderful author. I have enjoyed a lot of her books. She is a very sweet person and a caring person. Blessings to you both. Norma n38stanforth(at)yahoo(dot)com
Thanks for those encouraging words, Sharon. I totally agree. And her idea for keeping her stories well balanced isa great idea.
I'm so glad you stopped by and chatted with us!
Looking forward to seeing you again.
Norma,
Sounds like you already know Anita! What a joy to have friends of friends join us here. That's how we all can make new friends!!!
Looking forward to seeing you again, Norma.
Loved this, shared all over the place !
Linda Finn
Faithful Acres Books
www.faithfulacres.net
Debby H said…
I loved reading what Anita shared. She truly has in the insight into romance as it should be. Thanks!!
Thank you Linda!
I'm so glad you stopped by. I loved what Anita shared with us today. It was a very timely message.
Absolutely, Debby.
I told Anita of my concerns one day when an article came out stating quite the opposite. She whipped this wonderful message up. I wish we could broadcast her words to the world because, as you say, she has "true insight into romance as it should be."

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream