Skip to main content

Joys of Listening

Photo Courtesy




This week our church is wrapping up our AWANA program for the year.

I have served as the Sparks Director (grades K-2) for about eight years. 

I must admit, in the wintertime, when the sun goes down at 4:30pm I have to drag myself out of my snuggly warm house to get in my car, drive the thirty miles on icy roads, and duke it out with the bitter wind to walk from my car to the church building--can you hear me grousing?

As I step in the door and look about, everything changes  as the dance of little feet and music of young voices begins.








Photo Courtesy


I blink away the snowflakes, blow my runny nose, and see the children hopping, squealing, tagging, chatting, and giggling in the foyer. A few run up to me…."Miss Mary…" and the first story of many for the night is told.

The little ones flitter about as I hang up my coat and fish out my ID badge from the bucket. Once a boy or girl has shared their important news, they skip away, calling to a friend.

Because of the strength of the kangaroo energy in this group, the leaders and I keep a strict schedule, shifting the children from one activity to another. Story time is the last segment of the night.







Photo Courtesy


Recently, I told the story of Moses and was so very amazed how God captured the attention of the thirty-five children. Only moments before starting the telling, it seemed a kaleidoscope of butterflies swarmed into the story room, unable to settle on the designated pieces of tape. Then--in an instant--little eyes focused on my illustrations of the little baby and his momma. Their voices hushed as the retelling continued.

When the story closed, and awards were given for the night, the still morphed into a din! 

Like mosquitos, the little ones moved about their assigned areas chatting to their friends and dropping their belongings. Several broke away and flew to me, anxious to tell me how many sections they passed that night or some other pressing news.





Choosing when to tighten the reign for safety and when to let the little ones flitter, the leaders and I keep the children corralled until their parents pick them up.

Quite amazingly enough, the chatterboxes stop mid-sentence when they see their guardian, run to him or her, and start their story all over.

How can I help but laugh!

I am convinced, God gives us these opportunities to help us understand how He sees us.


A very fitting verse comes to mind that tells how God responds to us:


Zephanian 3:17


The Lord your God in your midst,

The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.


Your Turn: Tell of a time when someone's words made a smile burst on your face. It can be a spouse, a friend, a grandchild, a teacher…anyone.


This post has been brought to you by the one word: Listen.

Comments

Janice said…
One of my favorite bring on the smiles memory from teaching preschool happened a few days after I began doing a morning devotional with the children. One little girl came up to me and asked, " When are we going to do our morning comotional?" It was so unforgettably precious.
Janice,
Indeed this was a precious moment. I'm sure we could fill pages with these examples. Feel free to share more!

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream