Skip to main content

Snail Mail and Post Offices Closing




Photo by Mary Vee


I received this thank you note in the mail.

Seriously, I had snail mail!!

I opened my mail box and inside I found something other than a bill. The little envelope had my name and had a return address from one of my readers on this blog.






Photo by Mary Vee





I tore open the seal, pulled out the card and read a handwritten message. This meant so much to me.

Admit it. When the rare moment comes, don't you get totally jazzed when you find a personal envelope address to you in your mailbox? Those personal messages come about as often as they did when the Pony Express first started.

Photo by Mary Vee





Our local post office is slated to close. Hubby and I live in a tiny rural community. We don't have a traffic light, store, or gas station. About the only business still open in the "downtown" is the post office. 

The decision hasn't been made how or who will deliver our mail. I'm still hoping for the post office motto: "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." Please post office, don't forget us.





King Hezekiah received a special message. The prophet Isaiah visited the sick king and told him he would die in a few days. Hezekiah turned to his side and wept. He prayed to God reminding Him of the work that had been done to restore the people of Judah to a sincere and focused worship of the one true God. 

Isaiah had walked out of Hezekiah's chamber. On his walk, God gave him a new message to deliver to Hezekiah. Isaiah walked back to Hezekiah's chamber and said, "The Lord has heard your prayer and has seen your tears. You will be given fifteen more years. 

Hezekiah's sickness miraculously healed in a short time. He went to the temple to worship and give thanks to God.

Hezekiah received two messages from God in one day. One not so good and one very good.

Not so good messages are sometimes needed. I suppose they are like medicine. I much prefer to receive good messages, like the thank you note.

Here is your challenge today. Think of someone to send a snail mail note to. It doesn't have to be long. Even something with a few lines can really make someone happy. Go ahead. It doesn't cost much more than a few minutes time. Who will you send your note to?

I think I will send one to my mom.

Today's post has been brought to you by the one-word: Snailmailnotes


Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Mary Vee,
I loved reading your artical. I love to write and get snail mail also. I am going to write to a friend who use too go to our church. But they had to stop coming because it was to far and also because of there daughters health. I miss this family so much. So I'm going to send her some hibiscus pictures that I've taken recently with my camera. oh.hello.hiya@gmail.com
Janice said…
Your post made me smile today. I think I will mail some Petsmart coupons to a friend who might need them. She does not get out much and snailmail brightens up her life.
Valri said…
I love snail mail! I love letters and cards! My mom is a writer...loves to write cards and letters. I learned that from her. She's almost 80 and still writes them....I do too! We both email too but there's just something about writing a card or letter and mailing it. I love going to the post office too. It's my daily "guilty pleasure" :) I love to see what the mail is! So sorry you are losing your post office. We live in a very small town too but so far we aren't losing ours!
Can you imagine being a fly on the wall at your friend's house when she gets the mail? I think you will more than make her day. I think you will make her month!
Great idea!
Mailing coupons is an excellent idea. I frequently get coupons I wouldn't need but can usually think of someone else who does. Love the idea, Janice!!
Thanks, Valri.
I guess I don't really mind. When yah live in the middle of nowhere it takes about the same amount of time to get to any somewhere. Hmmmm that sounded pretty good. I'm going to have to remember that.
Unknown said…
I sure hope that I will make her day. So sorry to hear about your post office being closed.
Thanks, Danie :)
I love snail mail. I recently started making painting envelopes...happy mail!!!! I am starting to send more and more. I love it. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream