Skip to main content

Fabulous Friday Feature-Krista Phillips




Today I welcome author: 
Krista Phillips


To win a copy
of 
A Side of Faith

Scroll to the end of the post 
to see how to get your copy.





Krista and I have been friends and members of the Writers Alley Cats for over four years. Perks of this fantastic group of ten women writers is we hold retreats, email lots, meet at conferences, pray, cheer, help, and are as close to being real sisters as you can get. I love my good friend Krista and what a Christ-like example she is. She is also one of the funniest people I know. You'll see a lot of that in her post today. I asked Krista to share with us how God has led her on her writing journey. This is what she said:




God said, "Do This!"

I became a writer because I committed mail fraud.

Seriously. (okay, I've since been told it isn't REALLY mail fraud since it was Fedex vs the USPS but mail fraud just has a better ring to it...)

Don't think God can use your wayward actions for good?

Think again, folks, think again.

In 2007, we purchased a house. About a month later we received a package at our door. Just a doorbell and leave, no signing. I picked up the package as the FedEx guy drove away, unable to flag him down to let him know it wasn't ours.

It was a nice looking package. Thick.

My hubby and I debated. With USPS, we just stick it back in the box and write, "return to sender" but how do you do that with a FedEx package?

But my eyes kept roaming to that package.

I told my hubby I thought it was a book manuscript. He told me I was nuts.

I decided to peek... just a tiny corner.

Oh crud. It WAS a book manuscript. I opened it the rest of the way... and indeed, it was the line-edits from a major Christian publisher.

My husband was astonished.  I was invigorated. I'd always wanted to write, but  I was a full-time working mother of 3. It just didn't seem possible.

I kid you not, it was like God was pointing his big finger full of pent-up lightning, saying, "Do. This."

The itch to write poured over me. After stalking the writer (who happened to be the person we had just purchased our house from...) on the Internet, I opened up an old manuscript.

But again, God pointed his finger at the big X and said, "NO, dummy. Write something new."

Okay, so maybe God didn't call me a dummy. But I'm sure He thought it.

Three months later, the Fedex package had been re-taped and returned, and I'd finished my FIRST novel.

Everyone has a dream of something they want to do that seems a little out-there. For some, it's to be an actor. For others, it's to sing on Broadway or at the Grand Ole Opry. Still others want to climb Mount Everest or go sky diving someday.

Me? I've always wanted to write a book.

Well, I did that, a few times over actually, but that birthed a new dream to actually publish them. And in June, 2011, I got the all I'd been dreaming about... a contract offer for my first novel! Sandwich, with a Side of Romance was published September, 2012.

This past year, I decided to branch out and publish a few books on my own. The first book, A Side of Faith, releases August, 2014. Two more will be released later this year and next year.

But I haven't left traditional publishing behind. My agent, Sarah Freese of Wordserve Literary, and I are busy working on a few other projects. So excited about where God is leading!

And now, 7 years after that fateful day, I just released a novella called, A Side of Faith, which I think is super fitting, because a LOT of faith is what brought me to this point!





Krista Phillips is the author of Sandwich, with a Side of Romance and A Side of Faith. She is married to her wonderful husband of eleven years and is the proud mother of their four wonderful daughters in Tennessee. She is an advocate for congenital heart defect and organ donation awareness and blogs at www.kristaphillips.com.






You can connect with her on: 
Facebook author's page AuthorKristaPhillips
Facebook Krista Phillips 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Rachel Carter is on top of the world. A new job in a new town, friends, and a house to call her own. Men? Eh, someday. And when the time comes, she’ll go for a nice safe geek or something. She will NOT be repeating the mistakes of her youth. But then Cameron Foster comes knocking on her door, reminding her of the man she vows never to think of again. God wouldn’t send her a man who reminds her of everything she is trying to put behind her...would He?


CLICK HERE to get A Side of Faith


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CLICK HERE to get Sandwich with a Side of Romance

She moved to Sandwich, Illinois, in search of a new life, but ended up in a giant pickle. Sandwich represents hope for twenty-year-old Maddie Buckner and Kyle, the eleven-year-old brother Maddie wants to spring out of foster care. Then she loses her new job after less than a day. It’s all Reuben-the-Jerk’s fault, and she’s determined to make him right the wrong. He does so, reluctantly, by giving her a job at his restaurant, The Sandwich Emporium. Then crazy things start happening at the restaurant, and Kyle’s foster parents apply to adopt him. To stop it all, Maddie must learn the art of humbling herself and accepting the help God has arranged, risking her heart to Reuben in the process. And she’d rather eat a million corned-beef on rye sandwiches than do that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To enter the contest for  
Krista Phillip's eBook: "A Side of Faith"
leave a comment (and email address)
AND become a follower of this site, 
OR sign up to receive posts by email
if you aren't already.


Open for International and US for eBook winner
US winners can choose either an eBook or a paper copy 

Winner announced on my facebook page.


Thank you, Krista, for Joining us This Weekend!

Don't forget to comment!

Reader,
True confession - I had one of those out there dreams. I wanted to be a cowgirl. Closest I've come to that dream is to live in Montana and to go to several rodeos. I've eaten elk, yummy. Bear, a bit greasy. Buffalo, tasty. I had to work around my student's needs to not come to school during calving season. Yee Haw!!

How about you?

If you can't think of one...take a second to say howdie-do it gets quiet here and I'd much rather chat with you.



Comments

Hi Everyone. The virtual hot coffee is on and I have some virtual chocolate brownies fresh out of the oven.
Mary Preston said…
Hi,

I wanted to be a ballerina. I never had lessons & I'm clumsy on my feet. There goes that dream.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com
Me too, not wanting to be the ballerina, but just able to dance like one. I wouldn't want to perform. We can turn on music and twirl in our home. I've done that when no one is around. It actually is fun.:)
Anonymous said…
The books sound funny and wonderful! I can't wait to read them!
I have read them both and you are right, they are both good reads. If you leave you name and email address you could be entered in the drawing.
I have always enjoyed writing but my work consists of journal entries, promotional writing for my church and library and notes to encourage those in need of an uplifting message. I enjoyed reading Krista's journey to publication.
Connie
cps1950@gmail.com
Hi, Connie,
Your writing is a very important ministry. One encouraging note can change a person's day and even more. Promotion writing for your church and library can lead a person to the right ministry or book. Some day in heaven you will see what a blessing you've been to others. Like you are to us here.
:)
Shopgirl said…
I wanted to be a librarian, but never went to school for it. I would love to just work in a library someday. I was so excited to see Krista had a new book out! I love Sandwich, with a Side of Romance, and can't wait to read this one! shopgirl152nykiki(at)yahoo(dot)com

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream