Skip to main content

A New Recipe-A New Fact About Our Heart



Ree Drummond's Orange Chicken
I saw a fantastic orange chicken recipe and decided to try it. I'm one of the last persons who would be able to do a cooking show. I especially appreciate not only the video of what the chef is doing but also the text version of the recipe.

Ree Drummond is a ranch wife, writer, photographer, and obviously a great cook. Her teen daughters love Chinese take-out, unfortunately they live to far from any restaurant. Ree figured out how to make her daughter's favorites: orange chicken and beef with broccoli.

The closest restaurant to me is thirty minutes. My choices there are: McDonalds, Big Boy, yeah, nothing fancy. To get to a nicer restaurant hubby and I have to travel one hour. I find myself in the same boat as Ree. If only I could cook as well as she does.

*Chefs take much less time to cook a meal than a novice like me. The forty minute chicken took me two hours. Gack! I know!! It's that perfection thing going on in me. 

I decided to make the orange chicken for my guests who were coming for lunch the next week. To make sure I had a handle on the process I made the dish on Saturday for my family. They totally loved the taste. Yeah, success!

I want to share with you what happened during one particular step in making this oriental dish. I needed to heat the oil to 350 degrees. After watching her video, I realized this temperature could easily give me a good burn. I kept a screen over the pot to prevent any drops of oil from wanting to escape.


When the thermometer reached 250 degrees, the oil spared no expense to remind me this was a very hot temperature. I slid the screen back on top of the pot immediately after taking this photo.


At 293 degrees the oil continued to froth and demonstrate the high heat.


Even though I have a gas stove, it seemed to take forever for the oil to reach 350 degrees. 


As I waited, I guessed the oil would continue to increase bubbling, swirling, popping, etc. I kept a safe distance with potholder in hand not knowing how violent the oil would get! 




To my surprise as the temperature neared 350 degrees the oiled seemed to calm, giving a deceptive appearance of being cool. 

The brown residue is from cooking the first set of chicken pieces. 





The oil response to the higher temperature became a mystery. 

I began to wonder if this is how we appear when we get angry. The people around us can see us lose our cool at first. But minutes, hours, days later, when we allow ourselves to become consumed with our anger others can't tell. We appear to be content but aren't. We give the illusion that everything is fine when inside it really isn't. 




The detriment, of course is when one simple word or action reminds us of our anger and sends us into an uncontrolled response.


No matter how others have wronged us, we need to seek God's help right away. Ask Him to give you exactly what you need to calm your heart and help you forgive the other person. 

When another word is added and rekindles the heat, run to God and ask Him again to give you exactly what yo need to calm your heart and help you forgive the other person.

Repeat as often as needed. Even years later. Only God knows you well enough to provide the calm you need. God can calm a storm. He can also calm your heart.







http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/beef-with-broccoli.html

Comments

Joanne Sher said…
WONDERFUL analogy - and so true! And that meal looks WONDERFUL. Thanks, my friend! :)
You're welcome. It was super delicious. I love watching the how to make something on a video and then imitate the chef. YUM

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream