Skip to main content

Book Review-Duchess by Susan May Warren


I have been wanting to read a book by Susan May Warren this whole year. Just recently, I set my hands on a copy of Duchess, the third book in a series called Daughters of Fortune.

As local chapter president of Poky Readers Anonymous, I was cast out of office after sailing through this delightful historical read in less than three days.

I've always been intrigued by any historical series that follows the daughters. Typically each generation has a book devoted to the current daughter. We, the readers, get to step back in time then walk forward witnessing the changing political and economic influences of history while being captivated by a wonderful story..

Duchess opens shortly before the great stock market crash in October of 1929. Rosie Worth dreams of becoming a famous movie star. Standing in the right place at the right time, she finds herself an instant starlet playing roles on the silver screen. Her new career also gives her a name change: Roxie Price.

Fans crowd around Roxie every time she stepps into public. Cameras snap her photo. Everyone loves the glamorous Roxie except her husband, the studio owner. He only married her to keep the business afloat. But no one, not even Roxie can save their film company from the debts he racked up when Black Friday dawns. The same day her not-so-devoted husband takes the easy way out.

Alone and penniless, Roxy claws her way to resurrect her dreams. Mistakes and wrong turns plague her until the day Rolfe Van Horne, duke of Belgium walks back into her life. The young love she once had for him died, but his new movie plans leads her to believe she can step out of the muck of a falling star and become an international name. 

Excited to return to fame, Roxie follows Rolfe to Europe to begin filming, unaware that his film idea held deep secrets and life threatening dangers. 


If you recall events from this period of time from school, you will be intrigued with the in-depth research Warren compiled. Facts are woven seamlessly through the story painting a very real telling of Roxie's life during the stock market crash, and the unrest in Europe. 

I am one of those readers who prefers to learn or revisit facts from a story. Fiction writers must painstakingly check all their facts and present it in such a way to not sound like a textbook. The responsibility is greater for a fiction author, I think, than for a non fiction author.

….and it's a fun way to learn.

Your turn: Join my cause. 
Name something you learned while reading a fiction book

Have you read one of Susan May Warren's books?
Which one?




Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream