Skip to main content

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laurie Tomlinson

    





Today I welcome author: 
Laurie Tomlinson






Laurie has become such a great friend. She is a fellow Alley Cat on the Writer's Alley. I had chatted with her lots of times on line, and was thrilled to finally met her in person at the ACFW conference in September. What a lovely lady. :)  At the Gala this year, Laurie won the Genesis award for her book in the Romance category. I'm so happy for her! She is bound to be published soon. So let's hop on board, get to know her, and be able to say, we knew her when!  I asked Laurie to share with us how God has led her on her writing journey. This is what she said:


In A Dusty Corner, Out of Site


Thank you to my lovely Mary for letting me share my writing testimony! Hope it's encouraging!

My journey begins like many other writers' journeys did: devouring paperbacks by flashlight and filling spiral-bound notebooks with characters and stream-of-consciousness stories. I knew I wanted to be an author when I grew up. Nothing else made sense. But somewhere along the way, the Realists got to me. Dreams were replaced with "But what are you going to do to make a living?" and "Do you know how many books are actually published?" So I combed my mind for career possibilities I might enjoy. Teaching about books? Writing in some kind of editorial capacity?

Nothing fit. Not really. I settled on book publicity and loved doing it along with a few professional writing and copyediting jobs on the side.

But then three things happened that changed everything for the hard and while sometimes broken, always good.

My husband and I welcomed our first child in 2011. I'd rock my daughter in the dim hours of the morning and wonder how I could possibly tell her to go after her dreams if I'd left the story of my heart in some dusty corner out of sight. That nudging plus the need to maintain some semblance of myself in the long days of writing press releases with one hand and changing diapers with the other led me to spend one night a week at a coffee shop working on what I was now willing to call a novel. (Thank you, husband!)

We started attending a new church, and as we got to know more people, everyone kept telling me I needed to meet Kathleen Y'Barbo Turner, a published novelist. "So, you're a writer?" she asked me after the pleasantries were exchanged. And I kind of twiddled my thumbs about the whole thing. "Um, well, I just finished my first novel."

"Then you're a writer."



On that day, I stopped hiding my computer screen whenever someone walked by at the coffee shop. I stopped being ridiculously vague when people asked what I write. I let Kathleen talk me into joining ACFW and entering the Genesis contest (especially with a second push from my now-critique partner, Kara Isaac). And it happened in perfect timing because soon thereafter, I got laid off from my full-time job. Even though it was hard, it happened when my head and heart were in the best possible place. I started a freelance business so I could focus on my writing, won a contest, signed with my agent, and have learned a lot in the process.



                When you see a door God has opened for you, don't turn the other way. While I believe I was always taken care of and don't like "what-ifs", I wonder how many opportunities I passed up because I wasn't ready or brave enough to go for them. When I won the Genesis with my first book, I told my critique partners I felt like God had opened a door for me and, when I dawdled at the entryway, He dropkicked me through it :) I'm okay with this.


                That said, there are lots of things standing in the way between you and your dreams, but sometimes those things are of your own invention. Time? Money? Energy? There will always be an excuse or a naysayer trying to drill reality into your skull. They're right. In my case, it wasn't practical to quit my job or make rash ultimatums with myself. But I learned it's important to just go for it anyway and make it work when Something That Keeps You Up At Night is at stake.

                An extra hour a morning a few days a week really adds up over time. When it's God whispering this dream in your ear, you won't be able to ignore it. And He has this weird way of changing the currency of hours and the productivity that fits into them so things just happen.


Speaking of time, everything takes a lot of it, ESPECIALLY in publishing. Dreams may not happen the way you expect them to, and that's okay. Just be patient, work hard, enjoy doing what you love doing, and don't let over thinking steal one ounce of joy from the journey. I know it could be a long time before I get "the call", but I'm going to try to enjoy the art of writing along what's been one of the hardest, most enriching journeys of my life!

Laurie Tomlinson is a wife and mom from Tulsa, Oklahoma, who enjoys stories of grace in the beautiful mess. She is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers and received the Genesis Award in 2013 (Contemporary) and 2014 (Romance). Her work is represented by Rachel Kent of Books & Such Literary.

You can connect with Laurie here:

Twitter - @LaurieTomlinson






Thank you, Laurie, for Joining us This Weekend!


Reader, I still turn my computer screen when someone walks near in a coffee shop. I need to take some of Laurie's advice and get bold. How about you, are you timid or shy about trying something, something God is calling you to do? 

If you don't have an answer, that's okay, just say write an encouragement for Laurie or a howdy-do in the comment section. I love chatting with you.

Thanks for stopping by!

Someday Laurie will be back--with a published book. 
When she returns, we'll do a book give away.

Don't forget to comment!


Comments

Laurie, I am so happy that you are are trusting that God's plan for your life is unfolding and that you are willing to abide by it. Continue to write and interact with your fellow authors AND enjoy your child. Loving and nurturing a baby opens your heart and mind to numerous emotions and they will surely enhance your writing. I look forward to the day when Mary has you back to talk about your book. Blessings to both you and Mary!
Connie
at


Connie,
Such sweet encouraging words. Thanks for sharing them with Laurie.
Thank you so much, Connie! I can tell you have a beautiful heart!
Thank you so much for hosting me, Mary!!
Loved reading more about your journey, Laurie! The image of God drop kicking you through the doorway made me giggle. Some truly beautiful thoughts here.
Karen!
So happy to see you here today. Thank you for encouraging Laurie with your sweet comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream