Skip to main content

Then He Smiled At Me

To me the holiday seasons officially begins when the radio stations start playing Christmas music AND snow is on the ground.

Well, the holidays have begun here.


The radio is playing Christmas music in the background and light flakes of gentle falling snow are sprinkling. (I took this photo seconds ago) To top off the lightness in my heart, I am writing this on Sunday. God's day. What more could I ask?

What a huge contrast from yesterday. The drive to visit my mother takes 3 hours, typically. I sat in a parking lot on the expressway (I75) behind millions of semis, pick ups, and cars. We sat so long I turned the engine off, which made me cold. I played ten games of solitaire while sitting. (I hate sitting) Eventually the traffic rolled forward inch by pokey inch. Hours dragged slower than the night before Christmas. 

The car heater dried out my sinuses, and of course I forgot to bring something to drink. 

Last night, my sinuses told me what they thought about the whole ordeal...trust me...they were NOT happy. 

To top off my unhappy muscles begging to get out of the car and my not being able to breathe well, I didn't receive some hopeful news. The results of a writing contest had been announced. I am so happy that one of my friends did get the word....but I didn't. 

That's when I melted like a snowman in June. My rough and tough, keep the chin up, buck up, move forward attitude was a puddle of water.

Like Elijah who just lost it in the wilderness after running scared from Jezebel, God knew I needed something happy to yank me away from my pit of despair. 

My teen daughter came home from work later that night. She asked to watch a favorite show of ours. We laughed--well, I sorta did. For her sake. Then I told her about the news I didn't hear. 

Without skipping a beat she rattled off the perfect funny line and tagged on her beautiful smile. She reached her arms around me and gave me a hug.

That was all it took. 

The funk disappeared. Poof.

I am no fool. I know the author of that moment. 

God used my sweet teen to give me exactly what I needed. 

I had a few extra minutes this morning to do this post. I didn't have to ask God for an idea. He gave it to me when "The Little Drummer Boy" played on radio station in the background. The drummer boy had no gift except his tune. And then He smiled at him. Bah rum pah pah pum.

I may not have placed in the writing contest, but God is still willing to smile at me.

And He is smiling at you, too. No matter what is happening. Good, bad, or just down right stinky. 

God loves us.

I hope you have a sunny, spring in your shoe day.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you, Mary! Thank you for being open...now I know I am not alone! Praying your day, your week, is full to overflowing with His joy, His peace, His love! (Praying this for both of us!)
Blessings!
Kelly Y
Caryl Kane said…
Hello Mary! Thank you for sharing life with us. I pray the Lord would greatly encourage you this week.

Caryl
Kelly,
What a sweet comment. Thank you. I'll be praying for you, too.
Thank you Caryl. I feel so blessed already.
Janice said…
You already received a Christmas gift from God! Joy in the midst of sadness. God is ever so good, 24/7. In His timing He will make your work be more fruitful. Keep pressing ahead knowing He is cheering you onward because you are His beloved daughter. Blessings, Janice
Good words, Janice. Thanks :)

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream