Skip to main content

Fabulous Friday Feature-Jill Kemerer-God Whispered, "But I Like Your Writing"




Today we welcome author: 
Jill Kemerer

To win a copy
of Jill's new release:
Small Town Bachelor


Scroll to the end of the post 
to see how to get your copy.


  
Mary here. Jill is a sweet friend of mine. I visited her at her house back when she was waiting for a proposal to be accepted. The days flew by for me before she announced her debut release...but for her? Well, I'll let Jill tell you the story.

I asked Jill to join us and share how God has led her on her writing journey. Here is what she said:



God Whispered, "But I Like Your Writing"


When I started trying to get published, my journey was all about me. I worked hard, poured stories onto my computer, studied how to submit novels and ate up every piece of writing advice I could find. My prayers tended to revolve around “Please let me get published quickly.”

A nagging sensation nibbled as I waited to hear back from the editor who requested a proposal of my first book. I’d been reading blogs where authors shared that it had taken them years to get published. What if that happened to me?

Fast forward through two form rejections. I entered a writing contest with my third book and, no, I didn’t final. The judges’ comments were very hard to read. That night, I crawled up to my bedroom, dropped to my knees and sobbed.

I totally understand, Jill. I've been here so many times.

Why did I ever think I was talented enough to be a published writer? I was clearly delusional, awful, at a preschool level.

I felt broken, and I cried, long and hard.

Still on my knees, I started praying. I asked God why I had this burning desire to write. I begged for Him to guide me. Maybe I wasn’t meant to be a writer. Maybe I should quit. No one liked my writing, anyway.

And I heard it—a whisper—“But I like your writing.”

After that night, I stopped concentrating on getting published quickly and started praying for God to help me become a good writer. I grew humble. I continued studying the writing craft. I prayed daily about my writing. And it took five more years and many, many more rejections before I finally got the call.

The two years before selling my first book were depressing and discouraging in ways I couldn’t anticipate, but God got me through them. It’s pretty cool when you can get a devastating rejection and smile because you know God approves your work, even if no one else does. I would never have continued writing without Him.

The best part of my writing journey? It forces me to rely on God, to get closer to Him, to depend on Him. I’m so thankful for all those rejections. I truly know I write for God.


Are you waiting for your dream to come true? Keep praying!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jill's mom threw a launch party.
What an amazing Mom!



Jill Kemerer writes inspirational romance novels with love, humor and faith. A full time writer and homemaker, she relies on coffee and chocolate to keep up with her kids’ busy schedules.


Besides spoiling her mini-dachshund, Jill adores magazines, M&MS, fluffy animals and long nature walks. She resides in Ohio with her husband and two children. 

Jill loves connecting with readers, so please visit her website www.jillkemerer.com and find her on Facebook and Twitter.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Small-Town Bachelor ~

A Place to Call Home
  
When Reed Hamilton arrives in Lake Endwell for a family wedding, he expects to do his part as best man then head back to the big city. But when a tornado postpones the wedding, the town is in shambles and Reed is injured. Thankfully maid of honor Claire Sheffield offers him one of her cottages to recuperate in.

Dedicated to her family and her dream job at the zoo, Claire is all about roots. She's this city slicker's opposite, yet as they help the town rebuild, Reed is captivated by her stunning looks and caring ways. He can't ask Claire to leave the life she loves for him, but he also can't imagine ever leaving her behind…


Interested in buying Small-Town Bachelor? Click on http://jillkemerer.com/books/small-town-bachelor/ for links to purchase!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To enter the contest for a copy of 
Jill's  new release: 
"Small Town Bachelor"
leave a comment (and email address)
AND become a follower of this blog, 
OR sign up to receive posts by email
if you aren't already.


Sorry, US only

The winner will be announced on my facebook page.


Thank you, Jill, for Joining us This Weekend!


We love chatting with you and are looking forward to reading your comments and questions. Or at least your hi, hello, hey, or ...

Thanks for stopping by!

Don't forget to comment!

Comments

Jill Kemerer said…
Thank you, Mary, for hosting me today!! I still can't quite believe it's true--that I'm published! I've enjoyed getting to know you over the years. Who knows, maybe we'll be roomies again for another ACFW!! :)
That would be better than awesome! Better bring earplugs. I sometimes snore.
I am the blessed one....walking in your footsteps and learning from you.
Jill Kemerer said…
Haha!! I'm such a deep sleeper, I would never notice! :)
Unknown said…
Small-Town Bachelor sounds like an interesting read. redeemed1ru@gmail.com
Unknown said…
Hi Jill and Mary! Thanks for sharing your journey to publication, Jill. Though I've heard it before in our phone calls and face-to-face visits, I always get so inspired re-hearing it. I LOVED reading Small-Town Bachelor and can't wait to read the next one in the series so I can reconnect with the wonderful community you've created in Lake Endwell.
quietspirit said…
I like the plot Jill has for her characters. cll4him(AT)sbcglobal(DOT)net I am going to follow Mary's blog.
Unknown said…
I love your story, because it demonstrates that when we give it over to God, wonderful things can happen. Thank you for sharing your story. Christina cjp1873(at)yahoo.com
Unknown said…
I love your story, because it demonstrates that when we give it over to God, wonderful things can happen. Thank you for sharing your story. Christina cjp1873(at)yahoo.com
Hi, Ann!
Thanks for joining us. I have to agree with you that Jill's book is the perfect romance for a read on the beach or by the fireplace on a chilly night. That and the perfect beverage, can't be beat!
What I especially like is knowing there will be more stories built on this community. Like so many classic stories that have introduced us to a community and captured our attention for many stories, this series is bound to become a part of our world.
Thank you for the follow!
I especially like the plot Jill has for her characters, too, because she is writing what she knows and has a heart for. She lives in an area that has had tornados, and know the small community feel. That is why her stories will be so genuine.
Hi, Christina, so nice to meet you.
I totally agree with you. the hard part is giving it over to God. Like a medicine, His ideas and plans are the best for us. I hope you are finding the same in your life and are reaping the joy. :)
Jill Kemerer said…
Thank you so much, Ann!!
Jill Kemerer said…
*waving* Hi Patrice!!! Thank you so much for all your encouragement!!
Jill Kemerer said…
Thanks so much, Cecelia!!!
Jill Kemerer said…
Christina, it's so true. And I'm amazed at how God surprises us!
Jill Kemerer said…
Mary, thank you again for having me today!!
Can't wait to continue our chat tomorrow :)
Congratulations Jill on the publication of your first book. I can only imagine the thrill when you received the acceptance letter and the absolute joy when you saw your name on the beautiful cover. Lake Endwell sounds like the perfect place to visit and hopefully, we will have the chance to return there many more times. Continue to write, to talk to God, and to believe in His perfect timing!

Thank you Mary for another wonderful author's visit.

Connie
cps1950AtgmailDotcom
What encouraging words, Connie. Thank you for stopping by and leaving your sweet words. :)
Jill Kemerer said…
Thank you so much, Connie! Your kind words warmed my heart! Wouldn't it be nice if we COULD visit Lake Endwell? I would love that!! Thank you!!
veralisa said…
Hi Jill, I look forward to reading your debut novel. Your path is a special "call" story! All bright blessings!
Mz.ZeyZey said…
Loved this! I know what it's like to feel down in the dumps after a rejection, and to wonder if you're cut out for the business of writing. My publication journey hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be, but I am glad I realized that I'm writing to show God's love to others in whatever form I write. I know there are people I'm meant to touch through writing, and it will all happen in His timing. I love reading how you humbled yourself and really studied the craft instead of giving up on what God placed in you. Can't wait to read your debut!
Good morning!
Welcome. I totally agree with you about Jill having a special "call" story. Knowing her as a friend, I've seen God guiding her awesome journey.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Good morning!
I'm so glad you joined us today. Your comment is chock full of encouragement. I really appreciate your chatting with Jill and I. Sounds like you and I are in the same situation. Waiting for our moment. Let me know your progress. I'm cheering for you:)
Kim Hampton said…
This book looks fantastic! Thanks for the giveaway. I follow by e-mail. myfacebookemail23 at yahoo dot com
Anonymous said…
I would love to win this. jrs362 at hotmail dot com

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream