Skip to main content

Fabulous Friday Feature-Amber Schamel


Today we welcome author:
Amber Schamel

One commenter will win a copy of
Amber's book: 
The Healer's Touch
Book 1
Days of Messiah Series

including International readers!


Mary here. One of my favorite genres to read is Biblical fiction. In my own experiences I have seen the immense amount of research behind these stories. The authors make these stories pop and touch our hearts! I asked Amber to share how God has led her on her writing journey You're gonna love reading her God story. Here is what she said:



The Life Changing Breakthrough

Good morning readers! I am so honored and excited to be with ya'll today.

Mary asked me to stop by and share a little bit about how God has led me through my writing journey. To be honest, I'm a little bit nervous about sharing this, because it's very personal, and honestly, I have only shared what I'm about to say with my closest friends.  But I'm going to share it with ya'll in hope that it will help or encourage someone.

When I first started writing, I had no idea what it really meant to be an author. There have been a lot of things that I didn't expect, some of them good, and some of them not so good. But one of the greatest surprises has been how much God has used writing to help me grow.

Of course, as an author you grow in character as you learn discipline and responsibility to meet deadlines. You learn how to interact with other people, even when everything isn't exactly the way you want it. You learn to trust God for the outcome of things beyond your control and lean on Him for the strength and ability to do what He has called you to do. But what amazed me most is how much I learn about other people, and even about myself.

As an author, my job is to create characters that are as real to the reader as the people living in their house. To do this, I've done a lot of study on people and how to develop my characters. Through this study, I've learned a lot about the people around me and why they are the way they are. I've learned that people operate based upon their different gifts or personalities. And I've also learned that each person has baggage from their past, and God's story in their life is how they overcome it.

Several months ago, I was going through an online class about characters, and how to develop their past and struggles. In this class, the instructor explained that each person has a defining moment in their past that created a negative emotion. Due to the trauma caused by that moment, they began to believe a lie about themselves, which developed into a fear. That fear then drives them for the rest of their lives. It determines how they react to situations, how the interact with others, and whether or not they trust the people around them.

During this class, I came to realize that I believed a lie. Sometime during my childhood, I had come to believe that I was not good enough, and that created a fear of failure. That fear of failure either caused me to fight against it and try to be 'good enough', or just give up and quit.

DING! Lightbulb moment, folks. "Hi Amber, this is yourself. Self, this is Amber. Nice to meet you." Ever had a moment like that?

I now understood why I did so many of the things I did, and why I reacted so strongly to certain situations.

Once I had identified the lie, God set to work combating it. He told me, "You're not enough by yourself, you're not worthy by yourself, but in ME you are worthy. I chose you and love you for whom you are. You don't have to be 'good enough' for Me, because I make you worthy."

God began to show me verses in the Bible like 2 Corinthians 3:5
Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God.

And 2 Corinthians 12:9:
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

I never expected that through this work of writing God would give me one of the greatest breakthroughs of my life. But He did. Isn't He just awesome that way?

Have you ever had a breakthrough like this?

Have you fallen victim to the "Not Good Enough" lie?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amber and her sister with Mark Twain
in Steamboat Springs, CO
Multi-published author Amber Schamel writes riveting stories that bring HIStory to life. She has a passion for history, books and her Savior. This combination results in what her readers call "historical fiction at its finest". A homeschool graduate from a family of 12 children, Amber found her calling early in life. First published at age 21, she has continued to hone her craft and is now the author of over half a dozen books. Between ministry, family and working in their family-owned businesses,  Amber is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and the Historical Novel Society.

Amber loves to connect with readers.
You can learn more about Amber by going to:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Messiah's Sign-Volume Two

Dreams…they shouldn’t bother him, but when Tyrus’ worst nightmare is vindicated, he has no choice but to face reality. His wife has been unfaithful, and God has punished her with the most feared disease in the land: leprosy. Banishing her to the leper colony, Tyrus struggles to raise and protect their son. But when Malon begins following the teacher from Nazareth, what remains of their business and reputation is at stake. Can Tyrus save his son from the beguiling lies of a false Messiah before he loses the only thing he has left?


The Healer's Touch Volume One
Aaliyah's last chance at winning her husband's love is destroyed when she is banished from her home as an 'unclean' sinner.  Her husband has branded her as an adulteress and threatens to kill her if she comes near the town. Struggling to survive amidst the fear, grief and bitterness of living in a leper colony, she would give anything just to see her son again. Is God really punishing her with this disease? When rumors of a Healer from Nazareth reach the colony, Aaliyah wonders if this man could really heal her, or if He would despise her like the rest of her people. It is now that Aaliyah must make the most difficult decision of her life: risk her life to appear in public, or die a leper.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enter the contest to win a copy of 
Amber's book:
The Healer's Touch:
leave a comment (and email address)
AND become a follower of this blog
OR sign up to receive posts by email
if you aren't already

US winner will receive paperback/International eBook

The winner will be announced on my Facebook page

Thank you, Amber, for joining us this weekend!

We love chatting with you and are looking forward to reading your comments and questions. Or at least your hi, hello, or hey.

Thanks for stopping by!


Don't forget to comment!

Comments

Good afternoon Mary and Amber, I am so glad to read this post today. This story of the adulteress and her uncertainty about how Jesus will treat her is very applicable to today's current society. Instead of leprosy, so many people are dealing with addictions and I am sure that some of them are unworthy to reach out to God and His son. Amber, I totally agree that none of us are worthy by ourselves. It is only through Him that we become worthy.
Blessings to both of you!
Connie
cps1950 at gmail dot com
Sorry, I meant to say that they FEEL that they are unworthy to reach out to God.


quietspirit said…
Mary and Amber: We had a discussion about feeling worthless at church on Wednesday evening. This can be a very devastating feeling for a woman. Praise the LORD, He can take care of those feelings.

cll4him@sbcglobal.net
Hi Connie.
:) I caught your correction below. Even before I saw it, I knew what you meant:)

You are so right about how so many feel unworthy to reach out to God and His Son. Once again, we can see how the truths of God's Word are applicable to every season, every one, all the time.

Thanks so much for stopping by and chatting with us today, Connie.
Absolutely.
Even men suffer these feelings. They work so hard not to show it, but if we look in their eyes and watch their demeanor we can see they struggle just as much as women. We all need Jesus.
Amber Lemus said…
Thank you for stopping by, Connie! You're so right. So many people struggle with addictions, and they need to be pointed to the One who can free them from those chains. In many ways, I think the woman caught in adultery was struggling with addiction. Addiction to bad relationships, or possibly to the comforts and luxuries she obtained through her profession. We don't really know. What we do know is that Jesus broke her chains and gave her the strength to "go and sin no more."
Amber Lemus said…
Amen, I think a lot of people experience this. It can cause a person to give up on life. It really reminds me that I need to voice more acceptance and appreciation for people.
Susan said…
Thanks for your transparency. I am sorry you felt that way.
Amber Lemus said…
Hi Susan,
We all have struggles in our lives, and it's part of what makes us who we are. The good side to it is that it drives me to succeed, to work hard and do my best.

Thanks for commenting!
Hi Susan!
I'm so glad you joined us.
I must admit, I think we all go through times of doubt. Satan uses this tool all to often on us. God in His infinite mercy gave us friends and His Words to help us through the times, don't you agree?
Your heart felt comment added so much to our chat today. Thanks so much for joining us. I hope to see you again.
Abby B said…
Hi Mary and Amber!! Amber, thank you so very much for sharing, I can't tell you how much I needed this!! It's so amazing what He can do in our lives once that "Heavenly smack upside the head moment" happens! I can't wait to read your book!!
Abby!
Love your comment!! "Heavenly smack upside the head moment". LOL I'm going to have to remember that.
I'm so glad you stopped by today and chatted with us. Sure looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Janice said…
Thank you for letting us in on your breakthrough. I feel I had a breakthrough to better understanding myself through reading about introverts. It was good to get the news about how our brains are wired a bit differently so we have different needs and responses than the other 75% of the world. Many writers are introverts so that is one reason I so much enjoy their company. Of course, I love extroverts, too. But is nice to not feel so alone in how things affect me.

Thank you for the chance to comment and possibly win a Biblical fiction book. It sounds great!
Blessings, Janice
jsmithg(at)hotmail(dot)com
Hi Janice!
Sure helps to understand the hows and whys. Thanks for sharing what you learned. I think I am a ping pong. Some days I am an introvert and other days I am an extrovert. I like to keep my family guessing. Actually it all depends on the circumstances.
I'm so glad you stopped by and chatted with us today, Janice. :)
Amber Lemus said…
Hi Abby,
Yes, a Heavenly smack upside the head...that's exactly what it was. I've had quite a few of those in my life. But that's just His way of telling me He loves me. :)

So glad you enjoyed the post. God bless you!
Amber Lemus said…
Hello Janice!
Yes, I remember feeling so relieved when I realized it was okay to want some time alone. Haha.
It wasn't that I was mean, or antisocial, or that I didn't love people, it just means I need some time to recharge, and that happens during alone time for me too. :)

So glad you stopped by. Best wishes in the giveaway!

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream