Skip to main content

The Pollyanna Principle


2 weeks after surgery
Photo by Mary Vee

Pollyanna was a character in an old Disney movie. Here is the basic plot according to IMDB: 

A little girl comes to a town that is embattled by feuds and intimidated by her aunt. By the time she must leave, she has transformed the community with her indominatable will to see the good side of even the worst situations and bring it out for the betterment of all.

My daughter destroyed her knee in martial arts. Sigh.

She has such a great attitude about the healing process. We walked through her college campus five days after surgery and out of the blue, she started laughing. "Yah know, Mom, there are a lot of advantages to crutches."

HAH! Immediately I thought--POST idea!

So, without further ado, I give you: 





The Top Ten Advantages of Using Crutches
According to A User

1. Crutches give you really long arms.

2. People are willing to open doors for you, and wait while you hobble through.

3. Crutches give you a reason to have a bare foot in public places.

4. Crutches allow you to walk at your own speed in a crowded place. No worries about keeping up or having to step to the side if you have to tie a shoe. The path is opened enabling you to walk at your own pace.

5. Crutches build arm muscles. The workout is very intense especially when going long distance like from the college parking lot to the classroom. (Her karate class better watch out-she is super girl now!). 

6. A Crutch can serve as a door stop. Perfect when the door tries to shut on a bum leg.

7. Crutches fix bad posture. You have to stand up properly to use them correctly.

8. Crutches let you feel like Spiderman as you swivel down the halls.

9. Crutches can help slow your rate of decent when sitting down. 

10. Crutches help you get up when used as a hand hold.

So many times we allow our circumstance to depress us, worry, make us cranky pants. The Pollyanna Principle is such a good help. "Look for the good in the situation--there has to be something good."

Of course tragedy hits, throwing us into a Job from the Bible situation. But when we can, let's try to find something good in our situation.

How about you? What do you do to help turn a problem moment into something tolerable?


This post have been brought to you by the one word-PollyannaPrinciple


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream