Skip to main content

Unbroken



When the movie "Unbroken" came out in the theaters ,I heard great reviews. I went and saw the movie and was equally impressed. 

I had heard that the man in this story, Louis Zamperini, had come to know Christ. I didn't see anything about this in the movie. What I saw instead was Louis's strength to endure starvation, beatings, hard labor, sun exposure, isolation, lies, demeaning words, sleep deprivation, and much more.

I read the book and learned so much more. The best part had been left out.

So many other men in the same situation did not survive. 

The few men whose bodies endured to the end of the war and returned home suffered post traumatic syndrome disorder. Nightmares, voices, sudden sounds...all tormenting their minds and drawing the survivors back to the prison camps.



Louis struggled with the same problems. He lashed out at his wife and others around him. His body and mind had been broken and he didn't know what to do.

One day Billy Graham held a rally in his town. 

Louis's wife attended the meeting and asked Jesus into her heart. She asked Louis to come hear Billy speak. Reluctantly, Louis agreed.

Louis sat in the arena. Billy Graham's words zipped in and out of his head. It wasn't until Billy mentioned suffering and God's understanding of the sacrifice that Louis really heard Billy's words. Billy went on to present the Gospel to thousands of listening men and women, including Louis.

That night, Louis asked Jesus into his heart.

Before reading the book, I had reflected on the movie many times. I wondered how Louis managed to survive the torment of one particular Japanese officer, how he survived so many days on a raft with no food or water, how he found the courage to return to Japan and carry the Olympic torch years later.

Days after finishing the book it occurred to me that God had helped him survive. 

Like Elijah worn, weary, and hungry, God sent an angel to nurse Elijah to health. 
Like Paul, God healed him from the venomous snake bite to continue the missionary work. 

Like so many others whom God helped live longer to complete the task. God knew Louis would ask Jesus into his heart that day in the arena. He knew Billy's words would touch Louis's heart. He knew Louis's wife would invite him to go. 

God knew. And He gave Louis the strength to survive until that day.

God knows what job lays ahead for us. Who we'll impact. What we will do. He will help us accomplish whatever we've been called to do like He did Moses.

God loves you and has some really awesome plans for you. This does not mean that life will be sweet, good, or full of cheer. It might be. It might not be. Either way God will always love you and insure you will have the opportunity to do that special task.

This post has been brought to you by the one word-Unbroken





I'd like to invite you to sign up for my free newsletter in the right column. Those who sign up will receive my Christmas story, 14 Mornings ’Till Christmas in December. 

Comments

Janice said…
As always, Mary, your posts are fascinating and give me insights I would not have had otherwise.
Blessings to you and your family for a wonderful Thanksgiving from the grocery shopping, through the chopping, and on to the chomping, may it all be delightful. And I know many thanks will go up to God for it all.
Thanks, Janice. :) I need to make a salad for 15 for tomorrow's Harvest event. Any ideas?
I never saw the movie "Unbroken", but can't imagine how they made a movie about this man without the part of him becoming a Christian. Without that part of the story, the movie must have been about how wonderful this man was. That's totally missing the point. I'm thinking that Louis would not like his life portrayed at all without giving the Lord credit for what happened to him..

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream