Skip to main content

The Importance of Choosing One-Word - and A Gift



There is something thrilling about welcoming in a new year. I can hear Marilla Cuthbert telling young Anne Shirley, "Oh stuff and nonsense. Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it." Good advice that fits a new year, eh?

2016 is a New Year with no mistakes. Are you ready? It's this Friday!!


I love celebrating a new year cresting the midnight hour.

Thursday night I'll drink lots of coffee and stay up with the family to celebrate. Some years we read a book as a family to stay awake, a couple of years, my son has set up an elaborate firework display. 

So exciting!



One-Word


Two years ago, I introduced the concept of choosing a one-word to my readers here on Let's Talk. 

The directions:  choose one word to be your theme for the year. Post the word in a prominent place. Use this word as your goal word for the year. 

For example: If I choose the word "trust" 

*I might see my goal as learning to trust others 
*or I might see my goal as wanting others to trust me. 

So each day I would pray that God would help me grow in this area:

*During the day, I might say I need to trust God to get me to work on time, to help me do my best, to let my spouse complete a task without reminders/nagging, to still love me even when I sin, etc. 
*During the night, I might say I need to trust God to protect my children, my home, etc.

For this reason, choose your one-word wisely. Pray about your one word choice for this year. The goal is not to "succeed" but to improve that area of your life . . .  mistakes ARE allowed!

Here are a few idea words for you to choose from. This is not an all-inclusive list. You may think of a word not listed here.  As I mentioned above, each word can have many definitions. The word you choose will have the definition you need.

Adventurous          Delight                 First              Noble               Resistant
Apprentice             Dependable         Giver            Organize          Responder
Brave                     Devoted               Heartfelt       Patient             Serious
Builder                   Disciplines           Helpful          Peace              Spunk
Care-ful                  Disciple               Hope            Praiseworthy    Still
Change                  Driven                 Humble         Prayer              Thankful
Cheerful                 Empower            Include          Productive        Trust
Childlike                 Encourager         Joy                Purify
Compassionate      Endure               Listen            Quiet
Concern                 Engage              Lovely            Rejuvenate
Courage                 Enjoy                 Manager        Relax
Crystal                   Faithful               Motivated       Release


This was my one word for 2014



This is what I chose for 2015:





Here is your assignment: think about what you would like to have for your one-word for this year. I have mine. I'll post this next week.

ALSO--I'll make certificates again this year and email them to any of you who want to play along. The design will be changed again to distinguish this year's from previous ones. Please indicate your one-word in the comments AND your email address. Thanks!

Are you ready to give the One Word Challenge a try? I hope I will tell you mine next Tuesday.



I am so excited for 2016 and what God has for all of us. 


May your new year be immersed in blessings. I'm praying for you.



So, as this year draws to an close, how can I pray for you?


Comments

Kim Hampton said…
My word for 2016 is going to be productive. I have a tendency to procrastinate and never get anything done. I need to remember, even if I only accomplish ONE thing a day, that's better than nothing.
imaclogger23 at yahoo dot com
Unknown said…
I have chosen driven for my 2016 word. l.bergh (at) sbcglobal (dot) net
quietspirit said…
Mary: I have chosen the word humble. Last week, I was released from a nursing home after I took a nasty fall and broke my right ankle in four places. I was 100% NON- weight bearing for eight weeks. I was in the facility for three months. God taught me to be humble and I need to continue the learning curve He established. cll4him(at)sbcglobal(dot)net.
OOOO Kim "productive" is a great word! Very similar to the word I chose. For me distraction is my downfall. Resisting the "shiny" things is difficult for me. I do like to play. The kid in me hasn't grown up yet. I really like you sentence: "if I only accomplish ONE thing a day, that's better than nothing. Such good words!!
Driven. Great choice. I kept that word by my side last year...really helped me a lot. I hope it helps you this year. :)
Oh, dear, what a challenge you have had. I imagine you saw so much in the nursing home. When I go to visit my mother I see the good care, but still my heart breaks because I don' want to have to live there. Yet, when we take her someplace she always asks to go "home" and is excited to be back with her friends. Sigh. So I guess she is happy.

I sure hope you are walking well soon. I'll be praying for you.

Humble is a great Christ-like word. Jesus humbled himself so much for us...it's the least we can do for Him. Good choice. :)
This is a comment from my friend Robin Mason:

Hullo mary, not sure why but some blogs don't let me comment. I did comment on your post today but it doesn't show up, but here it is:

Don't know if it was your post, Mary, but I saw something at the end of last year and before I could even ponder, the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said my word for 2015 was FORWARD. I made a meme for it too! My word for 2016 is INHABIT!! now the amazing thing is, a few years ago I had a dream (vision) of a castle that is mine. Imagine my SHOCK when I saw that EXACT castle in a post on facebook!!!!! Dunnotar castle in Scotland, don'tcha know!!

So 2016, i am inhabiting all that is my territory in kingdom, and I'm not backing down!!
Robin,
Sometimes the mobile phones prevent readers from commenting. What a bummer. My sister has the same problem.

I love your choice, inhabit. What a descriptive word txt means so very much. I can't wait to see how this word impacts your life this year!! Blessings to you!
Susan Johnson said…
I have chosen the word Prayer because I need to focus more on prayer. I would like a certificate. susanmsj at msn dot com
Prayer. What a wonderful choice. I need to add that one to my list for next year. I'll start sending the certificates out soon.
Angie Quantrell said…
Hi, Mary. Love your new word. I've been focused on a huge project, so saved this email to get back to you. Now that manuscript is in the mail, so I can catch up on emails. Whew. My word for 2016 is Create. Last year I did Believe and you made me a lovely banner. I want to focus on using my talents and enjoying the creative process this year. Have a fabulous day, Mary!

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream