Skip to main content

Fabulous Feature-Sylvia Bambola-Storytelling




Today we welcome author:
Sylvia Bambola

A commenter will win a copy of
Sylvia's book:

The Babel Conspiracy

International Readers invited to enter!
Scroll down to see how.




Mary here. I have a blessing for you. Sylvia's post really touched my heart. Talk about the heart of writing stories for God's sons and daughters. Her passion has stirred me. Created a longing to read her books and to sit down at a coffee shop for a 1:1 chat with her.
 I asked Sylvia, How has God led you on your writing journey? Here is what he said: 


He Filled Me With a Love for Storytelling

Long before I came to know the Lord, He filled me with a love for storytelling. 

When I was young my friends and I would sit around making up stories, usually scary ones. In eighth grade, I began my first novel, which was never finished. But the groundwork was laid.

God had instilled in me a writer’s heart.

Years later, after I came to the Lord and was a wife and young mother, I began writing in earnest. But my focus had changed. Not only did I want to write entertaining stories, I wanted to write stories that would touch hearts for Jesus. The two became inseparable. If a story couldn’t reveal something about God—His goodness, His mercy, His forgiveness, His tender heart for hurting man—if it couldn’t reveal some scriptural truth, I didn’t want to write it.

So began a process that never varied throughout my career. Each and every book began with prayer; with questions I would put to the Lord. “What do You want me to write about, now? What truth do You want me to illustrate?” Then I would listen. 

No Cecil B. DeMille type of voice ever answered, but I did get stirrings. Suddenly, ideas would bubble up like foam in a glass until they spilled over. Excitement would grow as one, single theme began overriding all the other ideas rolling around in my head. That’s when I knew. That’s the trail I would follow.

And that’s what would fill my heart until each story was finished. Refiner’s Fire was about the persecuted church, Tears in a Bottle detailed the horrors of abortion, Waters of Marah and Return to Appleton covered eco-terrorism. 

I began to see that God was directing me to cover some of the issues of the day. Even when writing my three historicals: Rebekah’s Treasure, The Salt Covenants, and The Daughters of Jim Farrell, the relevance to modern times was unmistakable. It was as though through story, God was highlighting various problems and issues. It was as though He was saying, “take a look at this.”

Have I gotten everything right? Probably not. And could my writing improve? Always. And with every book, hopefully. 

But after all these years, my desire remains the same—to write those stories that I believe God is revealing to me even amid the ever present temptation to follow trends, to pursue a more commercially prosperous route. And sometimes that pressure has been great. 

Trends and commercially oriented books are not bad, by the way, it’s just not my path, the one God has put me on, and I knew it.  Funny, the temptation always faded when I realized it was not the number of books I sold; a big or small name recognition; or my book’s place on the amazon charts. It’s—have I been obedient to the calling of God? To my assignment?

And that, friends, is the sum of it. Because there’s nothing I long for more than when I pass over to the other side, to hear Jesus’ sweet voice tell me, “Well done thou good and faithful servant.”

Love and blessings,


Sylvia
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Babel Conspiracy is a tale of intrigue and love. Two women engineers struggle to develop the world’s first nuclear-powered aircraft amid ever intensifying global terrorism and muddled personal lives. Trisha Callahan has an abiding faith in God, and “those roots of middy blouses and pleated skirts, prayer books and incense-filled churches went deep.” This faith is tested when she finds herself in love with a married man. Audra Shields sees herself as a modern Lady Chatterley, “liberated but not forsaking breeding, intellect, or femininity.” When she becomes involved with a dangerous stranger, she begins to question her lifestyle.

Both women try sorting out their personal problems while racing the clock to finish a project fraught with sabotage and murder. And who’s behind it all? When the Department of Homeland Security and the Mossad finally figure it out, the answer surprises everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enter the contest to win a copy of Sylvia Bambola's book:
The Babel Conspiracy
All readers invited to enter!!
US AND INTERNATIONAL!
If US winner: choice of paperback or Kindle
International winner: Kindle

Here is how:

1. Leave a comment (and email address)

2. AND sign up to receive my newsletter -in the right column

    (subscribers to Mary Vee's newsletter will receive a special gift)

    AND/OR sign up to receive posts by email if you aren't already


Thank you, Sylvia, for joining us this weekend!



We enjoy chatting with you, Reader, and look forward to reading your comments and questions. Or at least your hi, hello, or hey.


Thanks for stopping by!

Don't forget to comment!

Comments

Mary, thanks for sharing this time with Sylvia. Sylvia. I deeply admire that your goal is to write only the words that He has given you. I greatly appreciate your statement "No Cecil B. DeMille type of voice ever answered, but I did get stirrings". I've always marvelled that some people hear God speaking because I have only received stirrings. I guess it doesn't matter how we are answered- - - our obedience is the real issue!
Blessings to both of you and Mary, continued prayers for your daughter.
Connie
cps1950(at)gmail (dot)com
Sylvia Bambola said…
Connie, thank you for stopping by and taking a moment to read and comment. Yes, I feel as you do: How nice it would be if God would speak clearly and audibly to me, but in all the years I've known Him, He's only done this twice. The rest of the time I find I need to spend lots of time in His presence waiting upon Him. And maybe that's the point. Blessings!
Then again, Connie and Sylvia, the stirrings are comforting, aren't they? I wake often in the middle of the night, a name comes to me. I assume this person is in need of prayer. The question, why did that name come to me? Yeah, I know the answer, too. I have had names of friends I haven't seen in years pop in my head or simply I think of FB and am reminded that I said I would pray for someone. Who it is I don't always remember in the middle of the night. Neither do I always remember the need. But this I know, God is aware and has invited me to participate in the blessing by talking to Him even in vague words. I love these moments. I rarely hear the result. Sometimes I message the person and tell them God brought them to my mind and I prayed for them. The response from those individuals is always a blessing.
But Sylvia is given story ideas that meet the needs of God's sons and daughters. What a resolve. One God is sure to bless.
Sylvia Bambola said…
Mary, you are right. There is nothing like communing with God. I think it amazing and wonderful that He actually wants to communicate with us!
Caryl Kane said…
Hello Mary and Sylvia! Sylvia, I so enjoyed reading that you seek the Lord for each book you write. I love that you honor Him with the gift He has given you. The Babel Conspiracy sounds like a must read for the current season. Thank you for the chance.

Mary, I follow your blog and receive your newsletter.
psalm103and138 at gmail dot com
Hey, Caryl, so nice to see you on this rainy weekend..well it is here, anyway. Good thing we brought the chat inside.
The layers in The Babel Conspiracy do address much of today's issues, I agree. Definitely a page turner.
I'm so glad you joined us this weekend.
Sylvia Bambola said…
Caryl, thank you for taking the time to stop by and read my article. The Babel Conspiracy does, in fact, reflect modern times and issues. But praise God, no matter what, He is able to sustain us and see us through! Blessings.
Sylvia Bambola said…
Mary, thank you for hosting me on your blog. Blessing!

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream