Skip to main content

A Second Rung on Jacob's Ladder-Way More Difficult Than It Looks


This weekend I am starting a new series. 

You will read deep-hearted stories by people you've met here. Come back each weekend and be blessed. Leave a return word of encouragement for those who shared in the comment section.


Periodically I will be giving books away to a commenter. But to me, the greater gift is the heartfelt words from my guests.

Today, Sherrinda Ketchersid, a former Writer's Alley Cat tells how God nudged her to a second rung on Jacob's Ladder. The step is way more difficult than it looks.



The Second Rung

I’ve been calling myself a writer for about six years. It has been the most wonderful, frustrating, rewarding, exasperating thing I have ever done! I’ve loved meeting other writers online and have been planning to go to the big ACFW Conference with great anticipation. It’s what I love!



Not long ago, God got a hold of me and we wrestled for quite awhile. You know when God is talking to you, even though sometimes you don’t want to hear Him. You have a disquiet feeling in your heart. You aren’t at peace. You run into road blocks at every turn. You know good and well He is trying to get your attention, but you look the other way.

God was convicting me of not being a better helper to my husband, who pastors a small church. I’ve been an active member, but my heart hasn’t been in it. I have been consumed with writing and blogging, letting it take over, letting it become an idol of sorts.



Here’s the thing. When I married my husband, I knew that his calling would become my calling. Called by God. Called to serve. And I have ignored my calling. My husband needs me. He needs to know I am completely behind him, that I am interested in his work, that I “get him”. No one can “get him” like I can – and he needs to know I do! 

So three weeks ago I was battling God, because I felt like He was asking me to give up my writing. Not forever, but for a season. I didn’t want to, so I asked God to give me a sign. In my prayer time before church, I asked God to make it clear I was supposed to give up my writing. 


Well, God was so faithful. In the sermon, my husband (who had no idea I was wrestling with this) says this while talking about the prodigal son in the pig pen: Living in the pig pen is not just the place where sinners end up. Sometimes it’s us in the pig pen. It’s those of us who put other things before God. Are you putting things before God? Is God telling you to give up anything? Is He speaking to you?

Tears flowed from my eyes when I heard those words. My God answered my prayer in such a clear and profound way. He cared enough to speak to me and guide my way. What an awesome God! 

And that’s not all He did!

When I belong to The Writer’s Alley, a blog written by 10 aspiring authors, I thought I should back out. I wasn’t going to be writing for publication! But they asked me to stay and write more spiritual/devotional type posts. It could be writing or reading related…or not. I wasn’t sure if I should, so I said I would pray about it. That night, my husband came home from work and said he thought I shouldn’t quit blogging. He thought I should write more spiritual/devotion type posts! Isn’t that amazing? I love it when God speaks in ways that are unmistakable! 

You know, it isn’t easy to give up something that is so important to you. It is difficult. It hurts! But I do know this, God has a peace that passes understanding that will fill you and He will be your very great reward. He will compensate for the loss. He will make a way for you. 

So you might be wondering how I am spending my time since I’m not writing. Well, I am digging into the gospels, and am studying the life of Jesus. I want to be Jesus in this world. His hands. His feet. His heart. I want to encourage those around me. I want to build up God’s kingdom here on earth. I want to be a part of the mission of Christ and all that entails!


Sherrinda's website has innovative arts and crafts and devotionals. http://www.sherrinda.com






Thanks for having me, Mary!


Take a few seconds to share your thoughts to encourage Sherrinda and maybe tell of your second rung experience in the comment section below. Your prayer requests will faithfully be taken to the Father.

Comments

quietspirit said…
Sherrinda, When I felt God wanted me to write again, I was doing something I liked doing. I had a friend pray for 30 days to help me decide. It hasn't always been easy but I enjoy the craft and the friends I have made. But, I did let God lead me back into writing.
quietspirit said…
Mary; Thank you for sharing Sharrinda's story with us.
What a great idea...and one that could be used no matter what the person plans to do whether writing, or whatever job/task God has for us.

Thanks so much!!

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream