Skip to main content

The Quasi Epic Fail


Puzzled by the title?

I probably would be too, except I was here when...

My son brought a huge bundle of paw paws from Grandpa's tree. Grandpa apparently likes the tree but had never harvested the fruit. My son decided we should taste the fruit.


Photo courtesy
We cut one open and found seeds, larger and thicker than watermelon seeds, and dotted throughout the fruit. The seeds, I'm told, should not be eaten. The fruit, had a creamy mushy texture like squished bananas. The taste was a mix between a mango, pear, and banana. 

So, now...proud son wants Mom (that's the role I played in this story), to make Paw Paw jam. Uh, yea...not so much. I pictured banana jam and couldn't see it working. 

He separated the fruit from the skin and seeds, put it in a bowl, and set it in the fridge. On his way out the door he said, "I have the paw paws all ready for you to make jam when you're ready, Mom."

At this point, I was desperately racking my mind for a way to use these paw paws. What banana recipes could I try for the paw paws. Bread? Cake? The winning idea was paw paw cream pie.

I found this recipe for banana cream pie on the food network:







Take 6 graham crackers, break in half and 












crush in a food processor













add 2 tablespoons butter and 1 1/2 tablespoons water, mix 












press graham cracker mixture into a pie pan. (Spray the pan to keep pie from sticking) and bake at 350 degrees for ten minutes.








put 1 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin in a bowl. Add three tablespoons boiling water. Stir and set aside to gel.










In a separate bowl mix 1/3 cup + 1 teaspoon sugar, 








3 tablespoons flour, 1 1/2 cup milk, 2 egg yolks, and 1 teaspoon vanilla






whip together then poor in saucepan. Stir over high heat until mixture boils. Turn off heat and add the gelatin. Stir. 

Layer paw paws (or 3 bananas cut into little slices) on top of the graham cracker crust.

Poor the custard over the paw paws. Smooth the top and put in fridge for 3 hours to set. Do not cover with plastic wrap because it will mar the surface.

Remove from fridge and decorate with whip cream if desired.



Paw Paw Cream Pie
So when a dessert is normally served to family members, an overwhelming need to inhale said dessert takes place. But this paw paw dessert was new.

It used a new fruit.

One we hadn't incorporated as a regularly served item to eat.

Hubby, son, and daughter took a bite. "Good, Mom." Was their answer. But those diplomats didn't ask for seconds. They didn't even finish the small sample serving I gave.



Hours later I took the photo of the pie....yep, no one sneaked in the fridge to have a second piece.

Conclusion--paw paw cream pie is not one I recommend serving your mother-in-law, or your mother, or company...or anyone, not even the dog or cat.

It didn't taste bad. The custard on top slithered down into the paw paws and gave them a sweeter taste. 

It's just....yeah...a Quasi Epic Fail.

Do you have any ideas for paw paws? 

....My son planted three trees in our field. 

.........We will have plenty to share--hint, hint.


This post has been brought to you by the one-word: It-never-hurts-to-try-or-does-it



Comments

quietspirit said…
This is so cute. I understand the diplomacy of your family. But you did notice their actions didn't agree with their words. Some times we find our inventiveness does not yield the results we hope for.
Sigh, that's for sure.

Did you know there is a city in Michigan called Paw Paw, named such because of the abundance of paw paw trees. I have no clue why these people love this fruit so much. I wish they'd share their secret.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream