Skip to main content

Crossing the Rubicon-A Saying With A Big Meaning


Photo Courtesy
For my regular readers you may wonder what happened to the part two post I said I would do today.

Sorry. It is postponed.

Something incredibly shiny popped up that had to be shared and discussed. I think you'll be interested, too.



While satisfying a huge curiosity of mine about the time between the Old and New Testaments, I bumped into the saying, "Crossing the Rubicon" and learned the significance of these words.

You may be aware that the Romans controlled Jerusalem during the New Testament days. I had long wondered how the city went from restoration under Nehemiah and Ezra, to being overtaken by the Greeks, and ending up with Roman power--all between Malachi and Matthew. One page in my Bible. A page that lasted four hundred years.

Good stuff to learn and if you are interested in following my research in easy story form you can go to my ministry blog God Loves Kids and search for all posts "Time in between Testaments"

Fast forwarding from Nehemiah past the Greeks and the Hasmoneans, two Roman generals are in power. One took his armies north and west conquering France, the United Kingdom, etc. His name was Julius Caesar. The other marched to the east conquering what is now Turkey and east then south to Jerusalem and around to Egypt, his name was Pompey. 

Caesar and Pompey had agreed to let a three man committee rule the Roman empire while they were off conquering. The committee died out leaving Caesar and Pompey to fight over who would be in control. 

Petty fighting took place. Caesar marched his men to the Rubicon River. At that time, there was a Roman law stating the generals could not cross the Rubicon River.

Caesar ordered his army to cross the river, which was an act of war. A declaration. A point of decision that could not be reversed. He had committed himself and his army to this war and there was no turning back.

Caesar led his army in pursuit of General Pompey. General Pompey and his men fled east around the Mediterranean and south around to Egypt where Caesar conquered him. Caesar then proclaimed himself emperor.

And that is how the saying, Crossing the Rubicon came to mean: a point of no return. A decision with no way to turn back. A commitment. Firm. Binding. 

We are coming to the end of January. Many resolutions have faded. Perhaps we slumped back into habits we'd hoped to have conquered this year.

But hopefully there are some things for which we have Crossed the Rubicon. I'd say my faith in Jesus Christ is a definite Crossing of the Rubicon. In all these years, I have not gone back on this decision. I'm not perfect. Have much to learn. But God knows that and continues to teach and work with me every day.

Another is my marriage vows. Many, many moons have passed with this commitment firmly intact. 

My love for my children. Ah yes. Binding. Unstoppable. 

Help me think of some more.

What Rubicon's have you crossed?

Just a thought, while in Italy this October, we crossed the Rubicon. The tour guide probably pointed it out without me understanding the significance. Now I know.

This post has been brought to you by the one-word: Commitment 

Comments

Robin E. Mason said…
my dedication to my writing career - and learning to call it a career not "just" something I'm doing!
quietspirit said…
Mary: Any commitment we make is tantamount to "Crossing the Rubicon." I studied Latin for three years when I was in high school. I had forgotten the meaning. Thank you for the reminder. Blessings to you.
Definitely, Robin. BECAUSE God has called you to this work. And see the product so far? You have, what, three books? That is so awesome. Keep going.
Wow, I would really like to learn Latin. I'm serious. But first, I'm chasing Italian. Yep, I meant the word chasing.
I guess what I'm seeing is if we need to reserve the word "commitment" for something we are really and truly serious about, right.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream