Skip to main content

An Abandoned Wycliffe Compound



Location: 
A Remote Village in the Mountains of Honduras
An Abandoned Wycliffe Compound
Miles from any road bigger than a two-track.




There he sat. 

A boy about eight years old.

At the top of the hill overlooking a Wycliffe compound.

He pulled at the grass and fiddled with the earth while watching us, and, I think unknown to him, in my view. 



About thirty of us sat in an early morning meeting huddled on benches set in a circle. 

Doctors, nurses, child ministry workers, and teen translators gathered that morning first for Scripture reading, a devotion, songs of praise, then to divide into teams and head out to villages beyond the two tracks. According to officials, medical workers rarely came to this boy's village and the ones beyond.


The boy probably couldn't understand the mixture of Honduran, Guatemalan, Nicaraguan, American, and Canadian languages spoken by our blended medical team sent to help him and others. 

But he watched and appeared to listen.

Early each morning, the teams sat on benches arranged in a rectangle on a veranda made of broken cement. My chair leaned against the building giving me the view of a mountain to my right, the hospital center, and the hill where this boy sat.

Our leaders took turns giving the devotions, patiently waiting for their words to be translated into the three needed languages by two teen translators. The Nicaraguan leader spoke one day, another translated his words into Honduran, and the teens translated Honduran to English. Even prayers were translated three times so that everyone in the group could understand.

Each morning the boy came.
Each morning he moved farther down the hill, closer to our group until the last day when he sat at the edge of the broken cement. 

He ran his hands through the grass and plucked a few blades. 

Looking up every so often.

We sang praises to God. That morning each member prayed in his/her own language. We listened to the day's instructions: break into teams, go to a designated village tucked in the mountains far away from...anywhere, open a day clinic, and be a witness to the the people.

After the instructions, an American leader closed the meeting. 

What intrigued the boy to move from the top of the hill toward our group? I'm not sure. We didn't have games, movies, toys, gifts, or food. What drove him to sit only a foot away from the group the last morning and listen to the worship meeting? Well, at least the Honduran portion. I don't know.

I opened my eyes after the closing prayer and didn't see the boy.

I can't help but wonder how much he heard. What he understood. What he told his friends or family about the people who stayed at the abandoned Wycliffe Compound for ten days.

Who knows. Maybe I'll see him in heaven.

This post has been brought to you by the one-word: EarsThatHeard




Comments

quietspirit said…
Mary: Only God knows why that young boy was drawn to your group. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Every village person should visit doctors for once, at least to have the proper check up and the government should provide money for the people living in villages.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream