Skip to main content

God's Timing




I didn't know what I was getting in to when I met Ruth Logan Herne. From the first moment I said hi, she cracked a joke. She has an amazing ability to make anyone smile and appreciate life. Need proof? Read her words today:



God's Timing

Mary Vee, thank you so much for inviting me over today! I brought coffee… and an old-fashioned “Angel Pie” from a garden club cookbook I found at an antique co-op… 

I first want to say, God gives us the power to create our own path no matter where our journey begins. 

My little urchins (I watch a small herd of diaper-clad local monsters with chronically runny noses)  love Candyland, but you never know when the turn of a card might send you back to the rainbow bridge or the peanut brittle swamp!!! And that’s life, isn’t it, the whole fly on the wheel, sometimes up… often down…

My life began in poverty, but I refuse to dwell there or revisit often. When God handed out opportunities, I clung to them. When he put gentle folk in my path, I accepted their wisdom. When he sent me six amazing children, I realized my first job was to them…. And I put my writing on hold until they were raised. 

I tried writing a few times, but first there were those children…Who knew they’d be so stinkin’ demanding???

And then we fell on tough financial times that meant I needed a second job (and sometimes a third) to make ends meet. But always in the back of my head was the knowledge of what God planned for me: to be a writer, an author. 

And with each new hairnet –nametag-job, I gained insight into businesses, restaurants, the wedding industry, private schools, industrial and commercial baking, sales, special education, raising youngsters to reach for the stars. Every one of those jobs was the baseline for research I use in my stories today. 

My mother was a brilliant woman, a shining light of intelligence, but she also bore the strain of depression and addiction. I never knew her sober until I was in my thirties. She attempted suicide several times, and spent months locked in a small, dark upstairs room during my adolescence.

I didn’t get to know the pure light within her until I had a houseful of children of my own, but I see that later time with her as a blessing. She was funny, bright, and delightful (with no small bit of drama) and her writing talent made mine look minimal by comparison, but… and this is a huge BUT… she allowed the darkness to enter and then take over her life.

God lays out choices. 

He offers us paths. We might choose the one less taken or the one well-trod, and that’s not the point. It’s what we do on that path, the hands we touch, the faces we wash, the hugs we give and receive that make the difference.

I won’t argue with folks who say “works” aren’t important. In my life, those “works” were crucial, path-bending, Heart-forging. 

I’m a believer in letting Christ’s light shine through smiling eyes and a good handshake. Some might call my faith simple, but that’s the highest praise. Like someone saying your book made them CRY. Simple faith. The faith of a child, freely given, unexplained. That’s my kind of club!


At one point (after receiving WAY MORE REJECTIONS THAN JULIE LESSMAN EVER THOUGHT OF RECEIVING!!!!) one of my sons asked why I didn’t talk about my writing anymore. I said, “I can see that my rejections make you guys sad, and I don’t want to disappoint you.”

To which he said, “The only thing that would disappoint me is if you quit.”

That made me smile, because he’d thrown my own words back at me. And now with more than nine books out, more contracted, eleven grandchildren, and  a husband who still puts up with me after decades of marriage, I see God’s work coming to fruition. 

Way back when Sr. Mariel and Mrs. Bagley told me I had what it takes to be an author, I knew they were seeding a pot that might not grow for years and years, but that, given God’s time and my effort, the seed would flourish.

And I couldn’t be happier! (Well, except when I’m making fun of folks. Nicely, of course!)


You can find Ruthy hanging out at these sites:
Ruthy's Place
Seekerville
Yankee-Belle Cafe
Facebook
Twitter


Wow! I am touched by Ruth's testimony, as you probably are. She mentioned some ways to let Christ's light shine, handshake, smiling eyes, etc. What other ways can you let Christ's light shine?

Thank you, Ruth Logan Herne for Joining us This Weekend!

This post has been brought to you by the one-word: Christ'sLightShines


Comments

Oh, this is so much fun being over here and re-reading these words.... and laughing at how many books are out now, how blessed I am, how amazing life has been... and still is!!! Thank you, Mary!!!!
So, Ruth, I didn't know how many to up the number to...but I do know you had a ton of a-mazing, award winning stories. Anyone can tell from your writing in this post from days gone by what an awesome writer you are...and why it was worth repeating.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream