Skip to main content

Suzanne Woods Fisher - Overcoming the Fear of Failure


We've all had something fail. Maybe a school assignment, baking a cake, changing a car tire. Well that was my shortlist confession. There really is a mile long list that you don't want to hear. 

Talk about a quick drive to the blues. Even one negative comment in a barrel full of praises can take us down. Sigh. Why oh why do we remember the one negative one and forget the positives. 

You are not alone. We all do this. But there is a way of escape. Today, Suzanne Woods Fisher is going to share her story.

The Fear of Failure



“For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you. Do not fear; I will help you” (Isaiah 41:13, niv).

            
Years ago, before I received my first book contract, an editor returned a manuscript to me with the comment that the writing wasn’t up to her publishing house’s “caliber.” 

Ouch! 

That was a tough remark to swallow. But I did. I gulped down my pride, asked her for editorial comments about the manuscript, and she gave them to me. I read them carefully, incorporated what I could, and then I moved on.

I didn’t wallow. I didn’t stop writing. In fact, truthfully, I didn’t agree with her assessment. Instead, I kept improving the manuscript, sent it out to other publishers and, eventually, received a book contract. Since then, I’ve developed a very thick skin, taking rejection in stride so it doesn’t derail me as it has in the past. And trust me, it did! 

What changed?

It started when my youngest daughter ran for class treasurer of her high school freshman class. The night of the election, she received news that she had lost. I found her sobbing on her bed and sat down next to her, not saying anything for a while. 

After her sobs drizzled to sniffles, I told her how proud I was of her for trying. Just for trying. For being willing to take a risk. She did something that ninety-nine percent of her class couldn’t or wouldn’t do. I couldn’t have been prouder of her if she had won or not; I only cared that she was willing to try.

It dawned on me that God was rooting for me in the same way I was rooting for my daughter. He wasn’t waiting to be proud of me until I was successful. He already was proud. By continuing to write, I was willing to face my fear of failure, trust Him, and just keep trying. 

Little by little, failure became less of a big fear. If the worst thing I faced in life was a ton of rejection letters, well, I could handle that. My confidence rests in God alone.

By the way, my daughter ran for sophomore class treasurer and lost. She ran again in her junior year and, this time, she won! But I think she really won in that first election—maybe not with votes, but with something far more important.

About Suzanne Woods Fisher: She is an author of bestselling fiction and non-fiction books for Revell about the Old Order Amish. Learn more about Suzanne, her books, and her weekly radio show by stopping by www.suzannewoodsfisher.com. Download the free app, Amish Wisdom, to receive a daily Amish proverb. A moment of peace and calm in a busy day.



Suzanne lives in California with her family. When she isn’t writing, she raises puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind. To Suzanne’s way of thinking, you can’t take life too seriously when a puppy is running through your house with someone’s underwear in its mouth. 




Thank you Suzanne for joining us this weekend!


This post has been brought to you by the one words: TrustGod and KeepTrying 


Comments

quietspirit said…
Mary: This is a very interesting concept. Thank you for the reminder that God is proud of us no matter the outcome.
So true. So true.
What is sad is those who don't know that the one true loving God wants to be proud of them too.
This is such a beautiful read. This definitely brought a lot of facts to ponder upon regarding one's spirituality and belief in God. I do not remember enjoying any post like this before.
Thank you. Welcome to Let's Talk. I hope to see you again.
This content is written very well. Your use of formatting when making your points makes your observations very clear and easy to understand. Thank you.
The blog article extremely amazed to me! You're composing is great. In this I took in a ton! Much obliged to you!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Albert J. Smith said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream