Skip to main content

Individual vs Corporate, A Declaration of Independence Right in My Backyard

In search of today's topic I happened upon a book of quotes (Quotations for All Occasions, editor Catherine Frank). Inside I read:



Photo by Mary Vee
 I know of nothing that makes one feel more complacent, in these July days, than to have his vegetables from his own garden. What an effect it has on the market-man and the butcher is a kind of Declaration of Independence. Charles Dudley Warner 1829-1900

I am very happy to announce my first, big crop of raspberries grown in my back yard. I filled a quart container with raspberries this morning. Yep, a whole quart. I've been working on this raspberry patch for three years reaping token berries. This year--this year I have a quart of raspberries, next year I am expecting a heap, this of course is a clearly defined amount. 





Photo by Mary Vee



In celebration, I watched the prices at my local store...a soaring, disappointing price, then, just like Charles Dudley Warner's quote said, I didn't buy any. Instead, my family and I feasted on our own bumper crop.







Photo by Mary Vee



I've strung up the tomatoes to keep the ones changing from green to orange and soon red from weighing the plants down to the ground.








Photo by Mary Vee



This crop will be another first. I'm hoping to can 10 quarts more than last years, a time when I canned 0 home grown tomatoes. Ooo, yummy spaghetti sauce for this winter.










7/17 Photo by Mary Vee



The butternut squash is crowding the tomatoes. This is my first time growing these delectable vegetables. I have plans to make butternut squash soup. I will cook them, turn them into soup then can them for winter. For now, I'm gonna have to do something about those squash plants crowding the tomatoes.










7/17 Photo by Mary Vee
One of This Year's apples




I'm really enjoying my farmer Mary experience. I've kept it simple. Started small. Hoping for big success and look forward to enjoy eating home grown. This is my declaration...even in its smallest measure...of independence.










7/17 Photo by Mary Vee
One of this year's Pears
7/17 Photo by Mary Vee
Blackberries still thinking
about being this year's crop.















While corporations provide much of what is on my table, there is nothing better tasting than fruits and vegetables home grown. God has been so good. His blessing are new every morning and their fruit is tasty.



This post has been brought to you by the one word-HomeGrown  

Comments

quietspirit said…
Mary: Glad to hear of your enthusiasm and your success with your garden. My hubby got discouraged and decided NOT to set any tomato plants out this year. The weather messed our plants two years in a row.
Bummer. Well, when we had trouble like that we searched for a local farmer and bought from them. Next best thing. Maybe you could too. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream