Skip to main content

Lily Pad Safe Havens in Houston



Photo Courtesy



One Houston resident who left her home shortly after the storm hit said, "A drizzle can cause a flood here in Houston."

This is possibly why so many residents didn't leave. They'd lived through many floods, but never one like this.







The National Weather Service had to add a new color to charts indicating a higher level of rain fall. White has been added for 24+ inches.

Much of the Houston area is colored with this new 24+ inch color.

Photo by Mary Vee


Houston's Mayor Turner stated: "I don't care if there is no food or water there, I just need a safe place for people to go.

He asked libraries, multi-service centers, any facility to offer a lily pad haven for people who cannot flee the city.

The people need more than a lily pad.





Conflicting information funneling in downpours to the residents of Houston made decision making processes difficult. One British woman said, "Had I know this much water would rise I would have never risked the safety of my children."  

Another woman said, "I thought it would be just a drizzle." With the storms Houstonians are accustomed to, this thinking is not unheard of. 

Disaster warnings are getting better, but understanding the severity may not be. When was the last time the local siren was ignored. In my area the siren is for tornado. In Hawaii the siren is for Tsunami. These sirens are in every state, ready to warn the people of coming disaster/danger. But how do we know when one is more than we are used to experiencing?

Along this same line there is a church in every community. A place not only of worship but a place to inform people. To let them know of what was, what is, and what is to come. One warning is strongly sounded, Jesus will come back. There will be a time when it is too late to believe in the One who has provided a way of escape. 

There will be no lily pad. No 9-1-1. 

Consider speaking with your local church. They are there to answer your questions.

Comments

Mary, as I continue to hear and read of this devastation, I continue to pray that those affected will find shelter and relief. I cannot fathom what Texas is going through but you are so right. We Christians know of the promise of Jesus's return and we know that we will not be given a warning or headd-up. It is our duty, our online, our love for our fellow man to urge them to seek His Word and guarantee His Shelter when this occurs.
Thanks for an excellent post!
Connie
Our obligation is what I was trying to say!
Thanks, Connie :)
quietspirit said…
Mary: All we can do is pray and possibly donate to an organization whose purpose is that of giving aid and assistance to victims of disaster. Some major church denominations have groups that do just that type of ministry.
Sun Dry said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alex moner said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Roberts said…
Locating the safe in a garage, in plain sight, though popular - is a bad idea. Even if you don't buy a concealed safe (wall/floor), you don't want to invite trouble.guarantor loans
Anonymous said…
You made various good points there. I did a search on the theme and found nearly all folks will have the same opinion with your blog. texashoustoncriminallawyer
Timy Tons said…
Hiya. Very cool website!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally…I am happy to locate numerous useful info here within the article. Thank you for sharing… houstonmedia
mtom said…
I see that you are using WordPress on your blog, wordpress is the best.:-’*” houstonlivedowntown
George said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
George said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream