Skip to main content

Upheaval...In a Good Way


Photo by Mary Vee
I am getting ready for another adventure.

My suitcase is packed. I'm really hoping for no hassles from TSA, a flight with no issues, my car rental ready, and GPS in a good mood.

So, while I am doing all of that, let's talk. 

Anytime the norm is changed, upheaval happens. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Even a flat tire isn't necessarily horrible. Amazing how fast a crucial meeting could be rescheduled, eh? 

For work at home folk leaving for a trip can create a mountain of work up front--and a cavern of work when we return. Sure the family can survive on pizza, dishes mounting in the sink, fruit flies in the air from the food left out, and dirty laundry. 

We over planners like to know there is healthy food in the fridge, the kitchen is clean, all laundry folded and where it belongs, and the vacuuming done before we leave. Sticky note lists separating what needs to be purchased at the grocery store from what needs to go in the suitcase reproduce like rabbits in the days before departure. Weave in preparing and printing materials for presentations, the random solicitor phone call, the doorbell, etc and everything is soon in an upheaval.

But--that is okay. We survive and live to do it again.

Most of the reports about Florida's recovery from Hurricane Irma and Houston's recovery from Hurricane Harvey have been good to read. Men and women talk about not having power, downed trees, or other damage, but -- this is where they fill in the sentence with something positive. Something like, the storm was nowhere near as bad as they thought it would be. Neighbors are sharing and helping each other with the clean up, meals, and shelter. 

Along the border of Uganda and Sudan, the United Nations and other organizations are helping Sudanese fleeing the turmoil in their country. Uganda has opened it's doors to more needy refugees than any other nation, according to the BBC. The Sudanese are not stuffed into camps, but are given a small piece of land to build a home and plant a garden. Uganda is giving legitimate refugees a place to settle. 

Their life isn't easy. They have to build homes and find food. But they have an opportunity to begin in a safe place.

Whether the upheaval is small, like going on a trip and leaving your family at home to fend for themselves, or epic like living through a natural disaster or a threat on your life, waking the next morning to new circumstances is a chance to start a new chapter. 

We stand on our feet. 
We pick up a broom.
And sweep what we can away.
To live and breathe another day.

I hope you have a day that is rewarding. It may not be as good as you planned or hoped. Maybe it is simply a day that gives a story of survival--some hope to someone else.


This post has been brought to you by the one word: UpheavalGoodStories


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream