Skip to main content

Laughter and Singing at the Homeless Shelter



It was a night to remember.

A night to tell friends about. So I am...


Fifty men, women, and teens rode in busses on icy expressways into the inner city. They poured out of the bus at a homeless shelter unsure where to go, what to do, or what to say. One led the pack through the main doors, pass security checkpoints, and on through winding hallways to a large room.

At night, this room is filled, wall to wall, with cots, blankets, and at this time of year, cold homeless men, women, and children.

On this evening before the night, hundreds of chairs formed straight rows and faced a platform.  

The fifty set up sound and instrument equipment. Singers cozied in the limited platform space. Instrumentalists tuned their instruments. 

A few residents poked their heads in the door. Intrigued, they came in and watched the first measures of several songs start, stop, start again. Microphone levels adjusted. The singers laughed. Chattered. The group stepped off to the side and waited for 6:30. 

Something amazing happened when the clock struck 6:30. 

Other than the concert with the fifty singing as they usually did for concerts, and the homeless watching with blank stares as the fifty expected an invisible spark happened.


Neither group did anything special. 
But something amazing happened inside the room. 

The residents smiled. They clapped and sang along. The fifty sang with a new robust which egged the residents to stand and join in. 

The stoic uncertainty fleeted from the room.

Hearts warmed. Faces brightened.

Inspiration blanketed the room, causing both residents and the fifty to sing with their whole hearts, all praises to God.

Residents shouted Amens at times.

The fifty shouted Amens at times.

And as the last verse of an enthusiastic rendition of Go Tell It On The Mountain ended, the residents, who had sat back down, leaped to their feet again and sang along. They cheered at the last note and pleaded for more.

But this was not a time for the fifty to be on a platform and the residents at their chairs. The fifty left their positions, stepping out toward the residents who warmly welcomed them.

Among the fifty was one man in a wheelchair. He tended to be shy. But during this gathering time, he wheeled his chair to the back of the room where he met a homeless man. They spoke for a time, then hand in hand, prayed for several minutes. Seemed they helped each other with strong, healing words.

Residents, workers, and the fifty helped to clear the room, ready for night ... a place for cold homeless men, women, and children to sleep.

Yes...This was an evening to remember....

                                                             ....and share.



This post has been brought to you by the one word: GodSpark









Comments

quietspirit said…
Mary: Thank you for sharing this. It touched my heart.
Lori Popp said…
Reading this with tears streaming down my face as I remember this magical, God-blessed night of joy. This night felt like Heaven, and definitely like Christmas as it should be. Thanks Mary, and Merry Christmas to you and your family, especially the new little grandbaby!
Lori Popp said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori Popp said…
Hi Mary, I wrote the post above, not sure why it did not post my name :)
Thank you, Lori and Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Oh, and hopping on the grand wagon is so exciting.
Thank you for writing this, Mary. It was truly a blessing to be able to witness God’s work in the residents’ lives as well as ours!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for sharing! What a blessing for everyone involved!
It truly was.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream