Skip to main content

The Wizard of Internet is a Fraud


Photo Courtesy Link


In our everyday life, problems pop up. They aren't always something big. Maybe something that tweaks our agitation for a nano second before a solution strikes us.

Like: 
Why was the peanut butter in the fridge?
How did the black sock end up in the white laundry batch?
Where are my: glasses, car keys, charger, etc?



These issues we are willing to tackle. No problem. Take the peanut butter out of the fridge. Don't panic when the white batch turns out fine. Search the house and car for missing item.

But when it comes to thinking our way through problems, we are very quick to hit the Internet. 

Can I just say, the Internet is not the all knowing Wizard of Oz? 

There is a lot of misguided information on line and some of it is very difficult to detect...for even the knowledgeable person on the given topic. 

Sure, I'll leap off the edge here for a moment. My economics teacher taught this principle, "Let the buyer beware." I'd like to add to that, "Let the Internet researcher beware."

Just because Web M.D. said it, doesn't make it so. Ask your doctor.
Even the Internet's weathermen give the wrong weather reports.

So what's the real issue here?

We are not thinking.

We don't try to solve problems ourselves. 

We run to Google and ask, "How do you..." And then follow the directions precisely. And while those specific directions may be correct, creativity has fizzled to the vast unknown.

Inventing the wheel is not bad.

Since cooking shows are all the rage, here is a low key example:
I'm standing in my kitchen. Flour spilled on the counters. Measuring cups and spoons have ingredient residue. I open my fridge and find, cue panic music, I don't have the next ingredient! 

Once upon a time, this would not be an issue. I'd search the pantry for a substitute and create a new taste sensation. The family would ooo and ahhh. "Make this again," they'd say.

Today, I'd go to my computer and bring up recipes for the same dish. I'd research alternative ingredients, wading through the one's I've never heard of before not realizing a full hour has vanished, and choose one I think might sort of work. Well, it should. It's on the Internet. And Chef Blah Blah said this ingredient worked.


Really, readers?

Can we not get through a day without the Wizard of Internet?

Another big concern is the awareness of Alzheimers. Memory Loss. Dementia. Research will show lack of this food, too much of that food, lack of exercise, and thousands of other reasons why a growing population is having memory problems leading to serious issues. 

I'm not saying the Internet is a source either.

I am saying, we can be a source. If we don't use our minds to think through problems and questions, we become lazy. Do you remember when you were a child in school. Were you always given the answer?  As a teacher, I told my students...I don't give answers. I guide. I helped them discover resources. I gave them opportunity to discover. I even let them struggle and fail because that is also learning.

Struggling and failing is not bad. Ask Einstein. Edison. Lincoln. 

So, today, I challenge you. For one week...choose not to ask Google. Let me know how it goes. 


This post was brought to you by the one word: CreativeMindsRemember





Anders' Redemption is a story about a man who lost his memory due to a slip and fall accident. His world has changed. He'd trained to become a chef but an intruder steals his prize recipes. He can't help the police because he can't remember....if only he could remember.   

Link: Click here

Comments

Robin E. Mason said…
BAM!!! mary you are so spot on!!! yes yes yes and yes!!!
Thank you, Robin.
quietspirit said…
This could be difficult but I will try. Just today, I have Google-searched two different items. On Monday, I did some research on Pontius Pilate. But, I will try.
Yeah, I know it has become difficult. Once upon a time we kept libraries of great info at home or at our churches. I still have my Matthew Henry Commentaries, a Strong's Exhaustive concordance, Bible atlas, Bible dictionary, etc. books I used in Bible College. Even this morning I used one. Kinda cool flipping through the pages to find something and on the way discover something else. Let me know how it goes for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream