Skip to main content

It Took A Sunset To Unite Nations


Photo by Mary Vee, Gates Pass, Tucson



The last two nights, hubby and I drove to Gates Pass in Tucson, AZ to see the sunset.

We aren't from the area and had no clue this mountain pass drew hundreds of people and their cameras at this hour.








Photo by Mary Vee
Hut where we stood on left, Boulder we used
to climb to the hut. Gates Pass, Tucson 



Young and old climbed the massive rock structures searching for the best seat for the night's event. It reminded me of the ancient amphitheaters filling with crowds waiting to view an evening entertainment.

To get to Gates Pass, drive west of the city and make sure your front window is spotless. The reason isn't so much the spectacular view, which will be seen once the car is parked. When driving with a coating of desert sand on the window heading into the west, the sun's powerful rays bounce off the coating like a spotlight in your eyes.



Photo by Mary Vee
The peak at Gates Pass, Tucson

Follow the curving road to the top and turn into the scenic view parking lot. Although there are many parking spots, most will be taken. Climb the rocks to the vantage you prefer and wait for the sunset.

Here is the best part:

Photo by Mary Vee
Stone hut where we viewed the sunset


Winds picking up an incredible speed across the valley far below soar up the mountain. Holding on to a nearby rock is wise. 


Like us, tourists shifted from one rock to another as the sunset shifted swirling colors across the sky. As the colors blended, so did the people.  

We climbed to this stone hut and watched from the doorway. Other people sat on boulders to the left, some leaned on the open windows to the right. This and the peak across the road were dotted with men and women from many nations, all with cameras.

A young man from an Arab country joined us. He said it was his first time at this place.  We chatted about the colors in comparison to last night's sunset. Although he took a photo, he said he preferred the memory picture and the experience. I really enjoyed meeting him.






A family of native children raced up the rocks and chased each other, giggling and playing.

Hispanic teen girls climbed high, finding a narrow place to take their photos. 

A European father called his children when it was time to leave. One child said their sibling couldn't come because they sat on a cactus. Since there weren't major tears, I assume the sibling was fine.

Men, women, and children from many nations interacted while viewing the sunset at West Gate Pass, a winding mountain road connecting valley and city.




This ranks high on my list of impressive sunsets.



My next newsletter will release soon. In the newsletter, readers join me on my journeys to amazing places and look for the hidden amongst the obvious. Sign up for my newsletter in the right column by February 14th to receive this issue.


This post has been brought to you by the one word: SunsetsUnite


Don't forget to get your copy of my books! All available on Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

Anders' Redemption
Andiamo, Let's Go to Italy
William Worthington Watkins III and the Cookie Snitchers

and Christmas with the Enemy, due to release in October 2018


Comments

quietspirit said…
Mary: This is an interesting concept,a sunset-a thing of God's beauty- bringing together people from various walks of life. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream